Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 6:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Symbolic Death and My Second Crisis of Faith
RE: Symbolic Death and My Second Crisis of Faith
(September 20, 2016 at 1:35 am)InquiringMind Wrote: So both worldviews are wrong.  Mormonism is unable to deliver on its promise of literal immortality, and the WEIRD society is unable to deliver on its promise of symbolic immortality.  

So I'm confused.  If it's not true that hard work will always bring success, then what is true about hard work and success?  If good doesn't always triumph over evil, then what is true about good and evil?  If life isn't going to treat me fairly, then why am I obligated to treat other people fairly?  If the WEIRD worldview is wrong, then what is true?

You seem to be asking what worldview am I left with such that it will give meaning to my life. The struggle with the search for meaning tends to be a recurrent theme in the life of everyone, theists included. We seem to be able to sense when our lives have meaning and when they do not, yet we are not able to predict what things will make our life meaningful. You seem to be wanting to resolve this struggle in one fell swoop, by adopting the right worldview. I don't think the struggle can be won that easily. I believe that the struggle is to be won by filling one's life with meaningful actions, but that's just an opinion. I also think we can't escape the dimension of meaning in our lives; it is like the water a fish breathes--we are always immersed in a flow of meaning. For someone who believes, a worldview can short circuit the quest for meaning. Do you find yourself troubled by the meaninglessness of your existence? Are you looking for something to "make sense" of a world that doesn't seem to make sense? What would it mean to you if the world doesn't make sense.

You speak of the promise of immortality of the WEIRD worldview. I'm reminded of the old quandary that if something is temporary, it isn't any less meaningful. A movie experience isn't meaningless because it is only a finite experience. Being in love isn't devoid of meaning even though it is fragile and temporary. This quest for immortality seems to be wrapped up in a fear of death--a fear that because your life is only temporary, it has no meaning. I would suggest it has meaning in spite of being temporary, perhaps even because of it.

To me it sounds like you're grappling with themes of meaning and nihilism; would that be accurate?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Symbolic Death and My Second Crisis of Faith - by InquiringMind - September 20, 2016 at 1:35 am
RE: Symbolic Death and My Second Crisis of Faith - by vorlon13 - September 20, 2016 at 1:48 am
RE: Symbolic Death and My Second Crisis of Faith - by chimp3 - September 20, 2016 at 5:14 am
RE: Symbolic Death and My Second Crisis of Faith - by Angrboda - September 20, 2016 at 5:22 am
RE: Symbolic Death and My Second Crisis of Faith - by Angrboda - September 20, 2016 at 10:24 pm
RE: Symbolic Death and My Second Crisis of Faith - by chimp3 - September 21, 2016 at 6:19 am
RE: Symbolic Death and My Second Crisis of Faith - by pocaracas - September 20, 2016 at 5:26 am
RE: Symbolic Death and My Second Crisis of Faith - by vorlon13 - September 20, 2016 at 11:21 pm
RE: Symbolic Death and My Second Crisis of Faith - by Arkilogue - September 21, 2016 at 1:23 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Crisis in Psychology? vulcanlogician 32 2534 April 27, 2022 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Plato's Epistemology: Is Faith a Valid Way to Know? vulcanlogician 10 1476 July 2, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  A question on death and suffering. Kookaburra 18 3408 March 19, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Socrates On Philosophy and Death Mudhammam 29 6234 December 15, 2016 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Faith and achievement bennyboy 76 8566 August 17, 2016 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Faith in Science? Mudhammam 15 3338 October 30, 2014 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest
Sad Animals and Death StealthySkeptic 14 3112 August 27, 2014 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  Is Evolution a science or a faith? Harris 295 66062 August 18, 2014 at 2:21 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Blind faith and evolution Little Rik 654 223637 October 2, 2013 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  My Loss of faith has caused severe depression Aran 31 7216 June 21, 2013 at 2:41 am
Last Post: whatever76