Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 1:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I a Deist? Cosmological Argument seems reasonable to me.
RE: Am I a Deist? Cosmological Argument seems reasonable to me.
(September 26, 2016 at 3:33 am)InsaneDane Wrote: But Deism renders any kind of religion or religious practice unnecessary, as the "divine entity" that created the universe uhm... "Doesn't give a fuck" about anything of this world.

Deism, in my opinion should really fall under Atheism, as a Deism can never be proven nor disproven as it present the universe as a fabricated product, equal to a Snickers bar.
And the Deist doesn't care for religious practice (?)

Is it anything but an observation/assumption that will never really have any use to mankind nor the believer?

Though Deism is far, far, far more valid than any Theistic belief, I just really don't see how the assumption that the universe was created by an unknown entity, then left to either work or collapse upon itself can really have or should have any meaning to any human being...

Maybe I'm just close-minded?

Well, the idea its not necessarily that the cause doesn't give a fuck, it might or might not give a fuck, perhaps he is voyeur... yeah i'm joking well I just don't try to define it, I keep it as a cause, the unmoved mover, but I don't even go as far as attributing consciousness to it.

And when causes are all caused the next question would be what makes the first cause special? why/how the first cause its the first cause and not just another cause in the chain... how can it be?

Then you have
1: It causes itself, or it is its own cause (somehow, yeah I don't understand it neither, hence Wizard, cuz Wiz makes magic)
2: It just came to be with no reason (well normal things just don't do that, but perhaps magic? Hence Wizard)
3: It part of another kind of chain (hence multiverse, you are stil left with "ok what about the first then?")
4: Infinite Regression (as someone point out it doesn't really makes any less sense than the Wizard, but its a very unsettling thing to just accept)
5: The First cause its a natural one but it somehow defied what we know about how natural things behave (doesn't really makes any less sense than the wizard, to some makes even more sense as its, as some describe,a way less pretentious assumption)

Anyways whatever your pick theres no religion there to follow its just about trying to figure things out without (yet) having access to scientific data, either because you are ignorant of part of the data, or science itself its (still) ignorant about the question.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Am I a Deist? Cosmological Argument seems reasonable to me. - by _Velvet_ - September 26, 2016 at 7:56 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Kalam Cosmological argument. JJoseph 113 5789 January 10, 2024 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Astreja
  Satanism seems fun FrustratedFool 50 3053 August 24, 2023 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Atheism seems to rise in Turkey Woah0 1 861 September 11, 2022 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?" FlatAssembler 124 8323 February 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 7539 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  *trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems? PhilosophicalZebra 143 28017 December 27, 2017 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Have I just demonstrated a deist god? Socratic Meth Head 11 2480 May 21, 2016 at 12:17 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  New Deist user here. Starlord 51 9050 July 17, 2015 at 10:25 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion GriffinHunter 216 32481 March 26, 2015 at 6:03 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Atheists aren't always intelligent or reasonable or rational TaraJo 16 6675 December 15, 2012 at 8:42 am
Last Post: Brian37