Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is my argument against afterlife an equivocation fallacy?
Is my argument against afterlife an equivocation fallacy?
In my video explaining why I don't believe in afterlife, I used, among other arguments, one argument which I came up with myself: "If humans have souls, how it is that humans who have been unconscious for a long period of time have no idea how much time has passed?".
Andreas Alcor wrote a response to my video. He wrote that he thinks that my argument is an equivocation fallacy, that I am confusing two meanings of the word "time", one is Ancient Greek "χρονος" and one is Ancient Greek "καιρος". I tried looking up those words in a dictionary, but I still fail to understand his response. The only thing I found is that "καιρος" means "weather" in Modern Greek, but that's obviously irrelevant. So, I asked a question about the difference between those two Ancient Greek words on Latin Language StackExchange (in that question, I also posted exactly what I said in the video and what Andreas Alcor wrote in response).
So, what do you think?
RE: Is my argument against afterlife an equivocation fallacy?
I think you should get back to studying.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(June 18, 2023 at 10:03 am)Nay_Sayer Wrote: I think you should get back to studying.

I would rather not study so much to trigger my psychotic disorder again. Because I think too much studying triggered my psychotic disorder.
It doesn't strike me as an equivocation, but it might not be demonstrative either. IE that unconscious people (souls, in exchange) might not have temporal awareness doesn't show that they don't exist. It would be informative, though. If it really is a problem for souls..that exist... to account for time (or remember) then we're positing that souls suffer from something we'd call a disorder.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I’m not at all convinced that the Greek words matter. If you had expressed the same notion without referencing Greek, your argument would stand or fall on other issues.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 18, 2023 at 10:26 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: It doesn't strike me as an equivocation, but it might not be demonstrative either. IE that unconscious people (souls, in exchange) might not have temporal awareness doesn't show that they don't exist. It would be informative, though. If it really is a problem for souls..that exist... to account for time (or remember) then we're positing that souls suffer from something we'd call a disorder.

I think that saying "Souls are timeless." is an ad-hoc hypothesis. It makes the theory more complicated, as one would not expect that from "The brain is the antenna for the soul.". In fact, it makes the theory significantly more complicated, as now you need to explain how can a soul which exists outside of time communicate with a brain which exists within time.
Do I really need to explain that?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Afterlife isn’t really possible. It would be a different creature, so wouldn’t actually be you.
(June 18, 2023 at 11:10 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I’m not at all convinced that the Greek words matter. If you had expressed the same notion without referencing Greek, your argument would stand or fall on other issues.

Boru

Well, sometimes the language does matter when discussing philosophy. Croatian, for example, has the same word for "belief" and "faith", and it is annoying to explain people that those are not the same thing. The guy who rode the airplane in 9/11 attack presumably believed in heaven, but most people don't, most people just have faith that heaven is real.

EDIT: And it's not just philosophy, it's also, for example, control engineering. Croatian has different words for the "gain" as in "gain of an amplifier" (we call that "pojačanje") and "gain" on the Bode Plots (we call that "amplituda"). The fact that English uses the same word for both makes it harder to understand English texts about control engineering.
(June 18, 2023 at 3:43 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Do I really need to explain that?

You really don’t.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus on the Gospel, not any Christian Church, and the Afterlife KerimF 31 1671 May 17, 2023 at 9:13 am
Last Post: KerimF
  Your personal views on the Afterlife Mystic Monkey 31 18786 May 12, 2023 at 10:36 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  A simple argument against God Disagreeable 149 12737 December 29, 2022 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  I have made a new YouTube video about afterlife... FlatAssembler 32 2219 July 12, 2022 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My Almighty VS your argument against it Won2blv 43 3789 May 5, 2022 at 9:13 am
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 15869 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
  What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?" Macoleco 25 1883 May 1, 2021 at 8:05 pm
  An afterlife would be terrifying for me SuicideCommando01 76 5750 January 6, 2021 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  My essay about afterlife in Latin FlatAssembler 2 572 December 28, 2020 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The Argument Against Evil-lution no one 19 3491 January 5, 2020 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama