Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 2:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we build AI without losing control over it? | Sam Harris
RE: Can we build AI without losing control over it? | Sam Harris
(November 4, 2016 at 5:46 pm)Mathilda Wrote:
(November 4, 2016 at 5:30 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: No, the A. G. I. begins improving itself at a rate much faster than a human and we get an extremely smart mind in a box. If you think its lack of limbs is going to be a problem. . .  I have no idea why you would think that. If I were 10.000 times smarter than you, you wouldn't fear me because of my body.

And how would AGI improve itself exponentially faster than a human?

If you were 10,000 times smarter than me, why would I have to fear you?

By working much faster than a biological brain. 

This machine, if you are to grant we can make one as intelligent as a human with all of the human range of mental skills at its disposal, would surely be able to interact with humans if nothing else. We could feed it information just like we do when we educate a human , except it would be able to process much more at once, naturally. 

This might be hard for you to imagine, but I can't see why. If you give me a million years to study all the assembled knowledge in the world and then some billions of humans to do my bidding, yes, I will still be under the influence or in the shadow of my original biological drives, but we all know how distortedly we've come to fulfill those just by being aware of them and by living in an ever more complex environment. 

Now take me and imagine me as the A. I. instead. It won't take me a million years to absorb all that information, solve problems , theorize, plan and think up scenarios and so on. It will take me much less simply because I'm faster in my electrical setup. My neuron equivalents move at the speed of light.

I don't see why lacking a personality or a body would be a problem. And even if it were, we could provide me with those things fairly easily. Work in that area is underway and looks promising, last time I checked.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can we build AI without losing control over it? | Sam Harris - by Excited Penguin - November 4, 2016 at 6:07 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pastors losing faith (Vice) Fake Messiah 1 250 January 14, 2019 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Sam Harris podcast, blog, etc. Fake Messiah 2 1023 September 30, 2015 at 3:06 am
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  Do you want to build a snowman? Foxaèr 9 1784 December 26, 2014 at 4:15 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Sam Harris at the Global Atheist Convention Justtristo 22 11052 August 10, 2012 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Universe Without Design Xerxes 0 1202 May 4, 2012 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Xerxes
  Doing Good...Without God Forsaken 0 762 April 10, 2012 at 5:26 am
Last Post: Forsaken
  The End of Faith by Sam Harris Justtristo 1 1600 May 28, 2011 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  Glenn Beck facing sack after losing over a million viewers downbeatplumb 12 5095 March 9, 2011 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Ubermensch
Rainbow Doctors without borders charity event and auction. leo-rcc 2 2037 September 13, 2010 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Sam Harris: Science can answer moral questions Edwardo Piet 10 3743 July 22, 2010 at 3:14 am
Last Post: leo-rcc