Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 8:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we build AI without losing control over it? | Sam Harris
RE: Can we build AI without losing control over it? | Sam Harris
(November 4, 2016 at 6:07 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(November 4, 2016 at 5:46 pm)Mathilda Wrote: And how would AGI improve itself exponentially faster than a human?

If you were 10,000 times smarter than me, why would I have to fear you?

By working much faster than a biological brain. 

This machine, if you are to grant we can make one as intelligent as a human with all of the human range of mental skills at its disposal, would surely be able to interact with humans if nothing else. We could feed it information just like we do when we educate a human , except it would be able to process much more at once, naturally. 

Computers work much faster, but they are also largely sequential. Each neuron in a brain may be slow, but brains are parallel. Computers are good at things that brains are not good at, but brains are good at things that computers are terrible at. A lot of the techniques we use draw upon the parallel structure of the brain for example and emulate it inside a computer. But this is processed using very few computational components in sequence.

There is no reason to assume that an AGI will be faster than a biological brain and every reason to wonder how we can even contemplate approaching the computational power in a brain.

(November 4, 2016 at 6:07 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: This might be hard for you to imagine, but I can't see why. If you give me a million years to study all the assembled knowledge in the world and then some billions of humans to do my bidding, yes, I will still be under the influence or in the shadow of my original biological drives, but we all know how distortedly we've come to fulfill those just by being aware of them and by living in an ever more complex environment. 

So repeating the question, If you were 10,000 times smarter than me, why would I have to fear you? We already live in a world where many people are sociopaths.

(November 4, 2016 at 6:07 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: I don't see why lacking a personality or a body would be a problem. And even if it were, we could provide me with those things fairly easily. Work in that area is underway and looks promising, last time I checked.

Actually there are fundamental difficulties with just giving you a body or a personality. Think how long it takes a child to learn to walk and act. How can you encode aspects of a personality? The whole point of AI is that it is generalisable and robust.

This is what people don't understand about AI, it's so easy to assume that you can easily do something. Even Isaac Asimov's three laws makes these assumptions. How can you encode something for an unknown eventuality or environment?

You can't write commands. It is not like programming a computer. Imagine instead trying to encode instincts armed with nothing but copper piping, lots of water and cisterns. I've always wanted to build a neural network in my garden using nothing but plumbing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can we build AI without losing control over it? | Sam Harris - by I_am_not_mafia - November 4, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pastors losing faith (Vice) Fake Messiah 1 246 January 14, 2019 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Sam Harris podcast, blog, etc. Fake Messiah 2 1008 September 30, 2015 at 3:06 am
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  Do you want to build a snowman? Foxaèr 9 1763 December 26, 2014 at 4:15 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Sam Harris at the Global Atheist Convention Justtristo 22 10997 August 10, 2012 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Universe Without Design Xerxes 0 1196 May 4, 2012 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Xerxes
  Doing Good...Without God Forsaken 0 753 April 10, 2012 at 5:26 am
Last Post: Forsaken
  The End of Faith by Sam Harris Justtristo 1 1591 May 28, 2011 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  Glenn Beck facing sack after losing over a million viewers downbeatplumb 12 5075 March 9, 2011 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Ubermensch
Rainbow Doctors without borders charity event and auction. leo-rcc 2 2025 September 13, 2010 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Sam Harris: Science can answer moral questions Edwardo Piet 10 3711 July 22, 2010 at 3:14 am
Last Post: leo-rcc