Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 2, 2026, 8:08 pm

Poll: If the teenaged child you'd raised to hold the same religious views as yourself came to you and said they no longer shared those beliefs, how would you handle it?
This poll is closed.
C'est la vie; win some, lose some.
3.57%
1 3.57%
I'd respect their choice whether or not to attend customary religious activities or the atheist equivalent. (Is there one? Skepticism day camp?)
25.00%
7 25.00%
I'd try my best to understand what had changed in their thinking and to understand their new beliefs.
28.57%
8 28.57%
I would do my best to reason with them to dissuade them from leaving the beliefs they were raised in.
14.29%
4 14.29%
While they are my dependents I'd still expect them to participate in the culture of the family, including religiously themed activities or their skepticism themed alternative - if there is one.
10.71%
3 10.71%
I would not accept their decision and forbid them to speak of it.
0%
0 0%
I would throw them out of the house and have nothing more to do with them.
3.57%
1 3.57%
If their beliefs did not change by the time they were independent, I would likely have less to do with them than I would otherwise.
0%
0 0%
I would end them. If God/reason can't have them, neither will Satan/a cult.
0%
0 0%
Fuck all polls in the ass .. yada, yada, yada.
14.29%
4 14.29%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Have we asked theists what they'd do if their kids turned out like us?
#5
RE: Have we asked theists what they'd do if their kids turned out like us?
My two oldest daughters have followed their mother into Evangelical Christianity, which is not surprising since that is how they were raised. My second daughter seems more involved in it than my oldest, which is probably attributable to the influence of my oldest daughter's husband, who goes along to get along but is fairly skeptical about it all. It rankles to see them buy such nonsense, but it's their choice and I don't interfere. That said, I also don't play the relativist and pretend that I admire their choice. They know what I think about it, and we have agreed to disagree and leave it at that. I will focus on doing what I can to mitigate the damage with my grandchildren and encourage critical thinking in whatever ways I can.

My third daughter and my son are both atheists.
Reply



Messages In This Thread
RE: Have we asked theists what they'd do if their kids turned out like us? - by Crossless1 - December 5, 2016 at 5:28 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear God, please soften their hearts... zwanzig 12 4089 August 6, 2023 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 90647 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  Question to theists: When to take the bible literally? T.J. 22 6010 November 26, 2021 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  How do theists justify the translations of the scriptures? Macoleco 44 15258 October 16, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  South Dakota Schools required to have "In God We Trust" on their walls Cecelia 16 4553 July 29, 2019 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  So again I asked what happened??? Drich 25 7523 July 27, 2019 at 3:51 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Question to Theists? kartronic 10 4291 May 30, 2019 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  7 Pious Xtian Shits Who Stepped On Their Own Dicks Minimalist 0 1401 October 12, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  In UK atheists considred more moral than theists. downbeatplumb 254 82539 September 20, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  German Catholic Priests Abused More Than 3,600 Kids Fake Messiah 17 5611 September 14, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)