Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In UK atheists considred more moral than theists.
In UK atheists considred more moral than theists.
Fewer than 25% believe religion is a force for good. Over 50% believe atheism a force for good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFvon0Fr1L4

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: In UK atheists considred more moral than theists.
UK wins again Smile
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

After living in Texas since I was six I can't even fathom living in an area where religion isn't the #1 thing.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
Kind of a hard question to answer, since "religion" is a super broad term. It depends on the religious beliefs and what morals/values it espouses. It can be a force for either good or bad, depending on what the morals and values are. Atheism doesnt espouse any particular morals or values, it is just a term to describe lack of belief in God, and says nothing about morals/values one way or the other.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(August 21, 2018 at 1:51 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Fewer than 25% believe religion is a force for good. Over 50% believe atheism a force for good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFvon0Fr1L4

How do atheists define morality?
With a dictionary, lol?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Rolleyes

What is an athiest's moral authority? What puts them on the same moral page?
(August 21, 2018 at 5:01 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: What puts them on the same moral page?

Evolved biology.
(August 21, 2018 at 5:01 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Rolleyes

What is an athiest's moral authority? What puts them on the same moral page?

The same moral authority that puts theists on the same moral page. The fact that we live in a society.

bottom text
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Of course, if you are moral, you won’t need a god to backstop for you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moral Law LinuxGal 7 539 November 8, 2023 at 8:15 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  German Catholic Priests Abused More Than 3,600 Kids Fake Messiah 17 2117 September 14, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Sad My mother believes in Jesus more than in me suffering23 56 8852 April 16, 2018 at 3:11 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Religious people are less intelligent than atheists Bow Before Zeus 186 20875 December 23, 2017 at 10:51 am
Last Post: Cyberman
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3335 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  This Is More Complicated Than I Thought. Minimalist 1 1277 May 19, 2016 at 8:55 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Serious moral question for theist. dyresand 30 7338 September 1, 2015 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Why is Faith/Belief a Moral Issue? Rhondazvous 120 25231 August 21, 2015 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Recap - A moral question for theists dyresand 39 7278 July 15, 2015 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  A moral and ethical question for theists dyresand 131 17217 July 15, 2015 at 7:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus