Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 9:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think of this argument for God?
RE: What do you think of this argument for God?
(March 7, 2017 at 6:47 pm)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote: Thanks for post number 58 (along with many of your other posts).  I'm learning a lot from you.

Thank you.

Most of my posts are extremely short and to the point because that is all that is required to rebut the arguments being put forth, but if you ever have a question or want something expanded on, feel free to ask.

(March 7, 2017 at 6:47 pm)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote: Out of curiosity, suppose we have a turncoat debate here, and you were arguing for the existence of god. How would you go about making a persuasive and convincing argument?

Rhetoric.

There are basically three parts to any philosophical argument: semantics (what all the various terms mean), logic (the structure of the argument and the evidence presented to support it), and rhetoric (the language and writing style used to convey the information). Theistic arguments tend to be very weak on the first two, so, in order to make up for this, they have to lean very, very heavily on the third.

Which is actually kind of fortunate for them, because, for most people, semantics and logic aren't particularly convincing on their own. You can show someone a perfectly reasonable and rational refutation of something, but unless you convey it in the right way, they'll still say "eh, I dunno, I'm still not convinced". Likewise, you can show them an argument that's a complete pile of dog shit logically, but because you've dressed it up and made it sound convincing, they'll accept it.

This is part of why there are so many variations of the ontological argument, and why none of them really do anything other than change up the language in it. Theistic arguments rely heavily on rhetoric, rather than logic and reason, for their persuasive power, so when one version of the ontological argument gets knocked down, they just give it a new coat of paint and roll it out all over again. It's the philosophical equivalent of the used car salesman who puts a new coat of paint over the rust, rolls it out on the lot, and sells it off for a huge chunk of change because it's just so shiny and perfect-looking.

If all you want is to be convincing, then you just have to sound like you know what you're talking about.

(March 7, 2017 at 6:47 pm)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote: Do you think that it is possible to do so without making use of Ipse dixits or other forms of assertions?

Not really, no. Bare assertion tends to be the best-case scenario, anyway, when it comes to theist arguments.

(March 7, 2017 at 6:47 pm)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote: Does god need to be properly defined and does evidence for his existence need to be established in order to avoid usage of Ipse dixits?

Yes. If you can't actually establish that a premise is true, than you are committing the bare assertion fallacy.

I do think that I should note that ipse dixit isn't really a technical term, though. I know of a few people who use it - one of my professors, when I was still in school, for example - but it's really just the bare assertion fallacy. It's got some icing on it, with the whole attitude of "yeah but you should accept it anyway", but that's what it boils down to, and you might get some strange looks from people if you use the term without explaining yourself.

(March 7, 2017 at 6:47 pm)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote: P.S. In your opinion, is it currently possible to make a sound argument for the existence of god?

Sound, yes. The "God is defined as necessary -> therefore, God necessarily exists" thing from my previous post is sound. It's trivially easy to make a sound argument for anything you like.

That's why soundness on its own doesn't count for much.
"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
  - A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do you think of this argument for God? - by Nonpareil - March 7, 2017 at 7:06 pm
RE: What do you think of this argument for God? - by Sal - March 17, 2017 at 7:37 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Buddhism is pro intellectualism? Woah0 5 676 September 6, 2022 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 5460 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1868 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3667 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  How to destroy any argument for God Drich 46 5552 October 9, 2019 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  How To Support Any Argument For God BrianSoddingBoru4 0 517 August 26, 2019 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How To Easily Defend Any Argument For God BrianSoddingBoru4 5 806 August 22, 2019 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 3143 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  What do you think prayer is? vulcanlogician 44 6291 February 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Very short argument for God (another clear proof) Mystic 123 24597 January 26, 2018 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Succubus