Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 2:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the Highest Authority You Recognize?
RE: What is the Highest Authority You Recognize?
(April 19, 2017 at 5:10 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: What is the highest authority you recognize? In other words, to what or to whom do you feel obliged to obey and why?

There's no one absolute highest authority that I must obey at all costs. And I'd rather not blindly obey any authority. What I prefer is to acknowledge certain authorities as such (within the right contexts), and to follow their rules only if they do not clash with my core values and violate my rights.

For example, when someone kills a random stranger on the street or robs a small business shop, I acknowledge the authority of the police to go after the criminals and have them arrested. What I will not do is acknowledge their authority to arrest someone for being a Muslim or fighting for marriage equality.

When it comes to science, I generally acknowledge the authority of the official body of relevant scientists to disseminate certain scientific facts and explanations to the public, provided no misuses/abuses of the scientific method were revealed.

When I was a kid living at home with parents, I acknowledged my parents as the authority in the house so long as I was financially and emotionally dependent on them, and so long as they did not abuse me. In school, the teachers were the authority (again, so long as they were not abusive). In hospitals and clinics, doctors and medical workers. And so on.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the Highest Authority You Recognize? - by Grandizer - April 21, 2017 at 1:14 am
RE: What is the Highest Authority You Recognize? - by Sal - April 21, 2017 at 8:17 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If Blacks have superior dicks, then explain highest risk of infecting AIDS Konboa 8 1333 September 5, 2018 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Highest Rank of "Moron" Minimalist 2 482 October 10, 2017 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Your internet privacy is now for sale to the highest bidder in Trumpistan Jackalope 60 6488 March 30, 2017 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Crunchy
  NI election turnout highest since Good Friday Agreement account_inactive 1 672 March 4, 2017 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  I think I'm starting to recognize the real issue with American politics now NuclearEnergy 24 5570 January 15, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Illinois to become 15th state to recognize marriage equality Ryantology 155 31373 February 14, 2014 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Minimalist