Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 12, 2024, 4:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
RE: Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
(July 26, 2017 at 9:26 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I would disagree, that there is no evidence.  And I think people need to assess this claim.  I have had discussions about evidence itself which have been interesting.  And I learned that it seems that some, don't regard anything as evidence, unless they are persuaded by it.  So when they are saying there is no evidence, they are really just giving information about themselves.  But there are a number of reasons and points of history, that are evidence for God (and many believe or come to belief because of that).  In a court room, both the defense and the prosecution present their evidence for their side.  It doesn't mean that the contradictory conclusions are both true. You can acknowledge evidence for the other side, and still not believe  But the evidence needs to be weighed and evaluated properly. My goal here isn't really to present the evidence, many do that already, and many already know it.  I'm more concerned with the reasons and principles, in which the evidence is dismissed. This is a claim that can be examined.    And to also learn about how atheist think (which is why I push to discuss and reason through things).   I set my goals low.  And why I may sometimes fail to my natural inclinations, and get a little short with someone, who doesn't want to discuss the topic at hand, but shift the burden to me, and demand that every discussion can default to me and their assumptions about what I am "really" talking about.  

When it comes to the existence of something that relies merely on the fallible system of faith, there is honestly no evidence to provide to alter a rational mind.

Evidence is not about persuasion; in fact, that is the job of religion. Evidence relies upon the verifiable scientific method.

Historically, there is no evidence for god. There are certainly biased viewpoints, but nothing of actual fact provided.

I believe you, as most theists, have a convoluted understanding of precisely what "evidence" means in relation to reality. Evidence is something that meets the requirement of the scientific method, not something that is merely faith-based on personal experience or how many people believe the same thing.

It is quite easy to dismiss that which is not based on evidence but mere personal experience and faith.

I completely understand how you can become short with atheists, but certainly you also understand how atheists can become short with theists.

Atheists represent the logical, realistic portion of society, while theists tend to represent the fantastical side in relation to their adherence to that which, by all rational understanding, is based in mythology.

Theists can certainly be logical in all other aspects of their lives, except for their adherence to a mythology that has no evidence to base it in fact.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? - by Foxaèr - July 26, 2017 at 9:45 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1310 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 5014 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 39288 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 29340 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Religious claims that get under your skin Abaddon_ire 59 7727 November 10, 2017 at 10:19 am
Last Post: emjay
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 21301 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6171 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 249350 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Witness/insight claims of the authors of the Bible emjay 37 6352 February 16, 2017 at 11:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  Evidence: The Gathering Randy Carson 530 94516 September 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: abaris