Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious claims that get under your skin
Religious claims that get under your skin
OK, I am an atheist and that is fine. I can handle pretty much any claim chucked by theists and that is fine too.

But there is one theist thing that will get me frankly irrationaly mad. And that is the pre-suppositonalists  of the Sye Ten Bruggencate type of thiing.

It isn't the religious claims per se, those I can gladly deal with. It is the claim that they know better what I "truly" believe behind it all that really raises my hackles.

Contributions and heckles welcome. Have at it.
RE: Religious claims that get under your skin
I hate that one too. That's usually where I *bop* them over the head with my Clue-By-Four™ and give them a 10-minute misconduct for attempted mind reading.

Perhaps for a change of pace I'll counter that argument with a bald assertion that they're actually worshipping {fill in the blank} because of {something they referenced in an earlier comment}.
Clue-By-Four™

That is priceless on so many levels.
None.

But "You just gotta have faith" is pretty mindless.
Pre-suppositionalists drive me up the tree, too. It’s the worst perversion of philosophy I’ve ever encountered and is invariably presented in a manner so smug and self-satisfied that my first reaction isn’t to argue with the person so much as to grab a good stout stick.
(November 6, 2017 at 12:44 am)Hammy Wrote: None.

But "You just gotta have faith" is pretty mindless.

I kinda toss that one straight out. One could have faith in magic universe forming pixies for all I care. Does not make them real.

Faith, very simply, is an excuse for believing anything for which no evidence exists.

(November 6, 2017 at 12:47 am)Crossless2.0 Wrote: Pre-suppositionalists drive me up the tree, too. It’s the worst perversion of philosophy I’ve ever encountered and is invariably presented in a manner so smug and self-satisfied that my first reaction isn’t to argue with the person so much as to grab a good stout stick.

Wow. And there I was thinking it was just me. 

I deliberately did not mention the "smug and self-satisfied" part because I did not want to lead the conversation as it were. That is a really irritating thing. As a placid and pacifist bloke, little provokes me to anger and violence. Pre-suppositionalists get in that very short list. There they find themselves in the company of child molesters. I have two kids and if anyone laid a wrong finger upon them I could not be responsible for my actions. That is how visceral the Pre-suppositionalists get for me.

Calm down, don't swear. OK we are all good.
Transubstantiation.  'It changed, but there's no way to tell that it changed.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 6, 2017 at 4:33 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Transubstantiation.  'It changed, but there's no way to tell that it changed.'

Boru

OK I will concede that that one is a cracker. <snigger>
None that I can think of specifically. It's more attitudes that I find annoying than any particular argument, like a theist not listening to a counter-argument and just parroting their same initial argument.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
So you mean Pre-suppositionalists then, right?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get your story straight LinuxGal 1 933 November 29, 2022 at 5:26 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1190 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1340 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1703 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? SteveII 643 132088 August 12, 2017 at 1:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Witness/insight claims of the authors of the Bible emjay 37 6013 February 16, 2017 at 11:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  CHRISTIANS, you only have 3 days left to get rid of your XMAS TREE! 21stCenturyIconoclast 22 4163 December 24, 2016 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: 21stCenturyIconoclast
  Bart Ehrman destroys Christianity in under 12 minutes. Jehanne 145 16247 July 1, 2016 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Methodist Church apology over abuse claims zebo-the-fat 11 2127 May 30, 2015 at 9:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  If the Exodus didn't happen, the Jews wouldn't put themselves under the Mosaic law Dolorian 57 13174 November 5, 2014 at 7:23 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0