Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 12, 2024, 5:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
RE: Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
(July 27, 2017 at 7:00 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(July 27, 2017 at 5:40 pm)shadow Wrote: We don't demand more than regular evidence and assessment on a philosophical basis: we demand it because we want to draw good conclusions to make good decisions. If someone's claiming something that is within the laws of physics, is supported by empirical evidence and has no profit motive, I don't need as much convincing to believe them as if they are claiming there is an all powerful being controlling my destiny who wants me to give them my money. You really don't understand why? [1]

I don't understand how any of this is evidence. [2]

About 1000 years ago, germ theory was inconceivable. People also believed in witches, that the earth was flat, that the sun moved around the earth. Was the fact that the majority of the population believed in these entirely false assumptions a testament to their validity? Or is a belief in witches the result of fear, misinformation, and a lack of education? It is entirely false to say that because people believe something it is true. If you can prove something it is true. I have no interest in whether a belief is 'compelling to a significant amount of people'. Islam is compelling to 1.8 billion people: do you believe that as well? [3]

1. I'm glad you admit that the criteria is arbitrary. I and 90% of the world have no trouble in believing in the supernatural so do not dismiss evidence simply because it does not conform to a naturalistic worldview. 

2. Then you do not understand the definition of evidence. Don't be one of those people who say this is not evidence--it make you sound foolish. http://pediaa.com/difference-between-evi...and-proof/

3. You are conflating belief about how the world worked with how to interpret things they saw happen with their own eyes. Even first century people knew the difference between healed and not healed, alive and dead, water and wine.

If 90% of the world told you it would be fun to jump off a skyscraper without aid of a parachute or staple your nuts to the wall would you do it?

It is certainly true most humans believe in a god if not spirits or the divine world. So what? Most of that is because kids get sold that crap before they can develop critical thinking skills. 

If you seriously think there is some cosmic security guard watching your every move and willing to beat the shit out of you forever in the after life if you don't kiss his ass, I feel sorry for you.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? - by Brian37 - July 27, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1310 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 5015 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 39288 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 29341 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Religious claims that get under your skin Abaddon_ire 59 7727 November 10, 2017 at 10:19 am
Last Post: emjay
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 21301 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6171 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 249358 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Witness/insight claims of the authors of the Bible emjay 37 6352 February 16, 2017 at 11:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  Evidence: The Gathering Randy Carson 530 94516 September 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: abaris