Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 12, 2024, 5:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
RE: Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
(July 28, 2017 at 7:02 am)Succubus Wrote:
(July 27, 2017 at 7:54 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I noticed a series of posts, along this line from you here.  I feel fairly confident (they can correct me, if I'm wrong) in saying that the theist involved in this conversation are not saying that everything anyone has claimed is always true.   Also in my experience, it is followed by a similar line of questions, for which you believe things, which you have to trust the testimony of others for their validity.  Also in my experience, this takes a very long time for an atheist to admit this when asking questions. 

So, unless you are holding to a position apart from what I described above, and justifying the most rigid fundamentalist and conspiracy theorist out there. (I can think of a lot of things to question, and say there is no evidence for; on these grounds alone)   I thought that perhaps it may speed things up, to skip this part, and move on to discussing what makes a testimony good evidence.

I've read this three times and I still don't have the remotest idea what you're saying.

Basically I am saying, I don't think that any of the theist here are saying, that we should accept all testimony without evaluation.
In my experience, most atheist are not saying, that all testimony should be discarded by default or that it is not evidence at all.

If a number of independent astronomers report the same or similar observations about the universe, That is evidence of the event or property they are describing; even though I didn't see it personally. This is true, even if it is an event, which is not repeatable.

Also in my experience, even when I would quickly admit the position I gave for the theist above, the same line of questions still persisted.  And it took a while but asking the alternative to the atheist I was discussing with, they eventually agreed, that knowledge gained through the experience of another can be evidence.  However by this time, and after the long back and forth, no one wanted to get into discussing how testimony should be evaluated, and what makes it good or bad.

So I'm suggesting that we forego the line of senseless questions, that don't represent eithers position, and move on to what makes testimony evidence.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? - by RoadRunner79 - July 28, 2017 at 1:21 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1310 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 5015 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 39288 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 29341 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Religious claims that get under your skin Abaddon_ire 59 7727 November 10, 2017 at 10:19 am
Last Post: emjay
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 21301 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6171 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 249362 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Witness/insight claims of the authors of the Bible emjay 37 6352 February 16, 2017 at 11:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  Evidence: The Gathering Randy Carson 530 94516 September 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: abaris