Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 12, 2024, 3:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
RE: Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
(July 31, 2017 at 5:51 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The Damascus Road bullshit story appears only in Acts and Acts is, well.....

Quote:THE EVIDENCE OF ACTS
1 . Acts as Historical Fiction
The book of Acts has been all but discredited as a work of apologetic historical
fiction. 1

Pg 359  On The Historicity of Jesus, Richard Carrier

Before some jesus freak shitwit jumps up screeching about how Carrier "hates" god I left the footnote in and print below the text of the note.

Quote:1 . See Richard Pervo, The Mystery of Acts (Santa Rosa, CA: Polebridge, 2008);
and Richard Pervo, Acts: A Commentary (Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 2009),
for the most thorough accounting of this fact (see especially the latter, pp. 17-18),
with substantial support in Thomas Brodie, The Birthing of the New Testament: The
lntertextua/ Development of the New Testament Writings (Sheffield: Sheffield Phoenix,
2004), esp. pp. 377-445 (on Acts specifically); Dennis MacDonald, Does the New
Testament Imitate Homer? Four Cases from the Acts of the Apostles (New Haven,
CT: Yale University Press, 2003); and John Dominic Crossan, The Power of Parable:
How Fiction by Jesus Became Fiction about Jesus (New York: HarperOne, 201 2),
pp. 196-217. See also Clare Rothschild, Luke-Acts and the Rhetoric of History: An
Investigation of Early Christian Historiography (TDbingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2004);
Loveday Alexander, 'Fact, Fiction and the Genre of Acts', New Testament Studies 44
(1998), pp. 380-99; and P.E. Satterthwaite, 'Acts against the Background of Classical
Rhetoric', in The Book of Acts in its Ancient Literary Setting (ed. Bruce Winter and
Andrew Clarke; Grand Rapids, Ml: Will iam B. Eerdmans, 1 993), pp. 337-80. There are
conservatives who protest, but not with logicaJiy valid arguments.

So, sorry assholes.  It is not just one guy telling you that your book is a pile of shit.  There are many.

In some reviews of this particular argument, it is interesting, because the reviewer notes that some of the citations would not agree with the distinction that Carrier makes.
And while it is good to have some corroboration for your thoughts, it's not a popularity contest, but about the why and the reasons for the conclusion.

There are also a number of scholars, who say that Luke/Acts is a good historical document.  And they cite historical reasons for their claim.  That Luke is generally well validated in historical facts concerning the time and location.  Some things where questioned in the past, but have since been corroborated. Others compare Luke's method to other's considered in the historical genre of the time, and find it to be consistent with that period.  It's not the same as modern standards (citation and sources), but fit's the standards of the time.  Interestingly, it seems that most of the disputes appear mostly to be with other books withing the Bible.  I think that some of these are overly critical, but each should be evaluated on a case by case basis. 

On the other hand, while I only looked at reviews of Carriers talks and arguments concerning this (both pro and con).   I question some of his attempts to making a mythicism connection.  Because there is a large voyage near the beginning of Acts, seems like a stretch to make the claim that it is historical fiction.  The story of the Titantic starts out with a large voyage, and by making grandiose claims.   It too, also has a fictional story, written prior, which has remarkable similarities (including the name of the ship and it's claims).  Yet I doubt that Carrier applies the same reasoning here (or he would be laughed at).

However, it's not about who is making the argument, how many agree with them, or their position.  It's about the reasons for the conclusion.  Now most of what I have seen in regards to Carrier for this, have not been very good reasoning in my opinion.  But I'll let you make the case, for what you think the best evidence is for this claim, and to present it.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? - by RoadRunner79 - August 1, 2017 at 9:14 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1310 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 5014 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 39288 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 29340 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Religious claims that get under your skin Abaddon_ire 59 7727 November 10, 2017 at 10:19 am
Last Post: emjay
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 21301 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6171 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 249320 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Witness/insight claims of the authors of the Bible emjay 37 6351 February 16, 2017 at 11:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  Evidence: The Gathering Randy Carson 530 94516 September 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: abaris