Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 12, 2024, 1:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
RE: Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
(August 2, 2017 at 12:00 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: So a hypothetical question. A few of us, along with some strangers are sitting in a room (say 11 people in total) I'm trying to have a discussion with Tazzy, and he just keeps calling me names, refuses to engage in anything, and just repeats back any accusation I make without even paying attention to the context. (you know the child's game of I know you are but what am I). I lose it, and hit him over the head with a chair, seriously injuring him (blind sided him of course). No one lets me leave, until the cops get there. Everyone gives slightly different accounts. Some seen the whole thing, some where distracted until the ruckus broke out. But everyone reports the same story, that I maliciously injured Tazzy. And their is no other evidence, with which to identify me as the culprit.

Is anyone seriously going to tell me, that they have no evidence with which to hold and convict me? That it's just one story against mine? If the nightly news didn't cover it, does that negate the others claims (after all what self respecting news reporter is going to air a story without evidence)? Do we need a scientist to duplicate the event in a lab in order to evidence the story? Do we need to find someone in the room that doesn't believe the claim, but corroborates it? Do their accounts need to include mundane details about who I am, like I fart on the bus and blame other people. Is the testimony of these 10 other people the claim or the evidence.

Now none of this is true, it's a hypothetical. Don't worry Tazzy, I don't wish you any ill will, and actually pray for your wellbeing. However the reasoning behind an answer doesn't rely on it being real (just like substituting a variable into an equation).

How would you honestly answer, not trying to divert or dodge the issue.

Did you claim to be the son of god? Do the people in the room claim you performed miracles?

Guys, the matter at hand isn't really the mundane. Someone getting laid out by a chair is a simple assertion, and the burden of proof is easily met. The problem is that the burden of proof becomes harder to meet as the assertion becomes more fanciful. Tazzy being laid out by a WWE chair shot is not in the same realm as someone performing miracles, coming back from the dead, and, oh yeah, is the only way to achieve eternal salvation. And witness accounts coming from sources with a vested interest in selling the story should only be considered with a huge grain of salt, if at all.

I think most of us are willing to concede that a historical Jesus existed (either as a singular figure or an amalgamation of several). But there's no logical bridge from "hey, this upstart prophet existed, gained a following, pissed off the establishment, and was killed" to "he was also the son of god, and belief in him is the only way to escape eternal hell." Satisfying the burden of proof for one doesn't reduce the burden of the other. And that's what this thread is about: Steve's tired list of items about Christianity (mostly its continued existence) being proof for Christianity (that its supernatural claims are true). It doesn't work that way.

Again, this isn't rocket science.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? - by KevinM1 - August 2, 2017 at 12:26 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1310 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 5014 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 39287 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 29340 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Religious claims that get under your skin Abaddon_ire 59 7727 November 10, 2017 at 10:19 am
Last Post: emjay
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 21301 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6171 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 249281 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Witness/insight claims of the authors of the Bible emjay 37 6351 February 16, 2017 at 11:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  Evidence: The Gathering Randy Carson 530 94514 September 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: abaris