Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 12, 2024, 3:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
RE: Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
(August 1, 2017 at 10:12 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote:
(August 1, 2017 at 9:52 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Liar.  You have 1 gospel, with two copycats and a re-write.  There is only one story.  What is now known as "mark."

WOW! I had no idea anyone still believed that theory from, what, 40 years ago. You should read more contemporary sources.

Have apologists gotten better at bullshitting? Nothing new has happened in 40 years that lends the tiniest amount of credence to your claim.

(August 1, 2017 at 10:15 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Why don't you guys just be honest and admit that you would never accept any miraculous event no matter how well sourced?

When you admit that you got nothing but an emotional need and popular support for your stories.

(August 1, 2017 at 10:46 pm)SteveII Wrote: Setting aside the fact that if you claim there is no evidence, I should not have to answer these because you would have thoroughly evaluated these things in support of your claim that there is no evidence, it has been requested that I answer this more fully.

There is no evidence that cannot be explained by more common and reasonable means.  No outside corroborating evidence for anything supernatural.  Call what is left evidence if you like, but you know damn well what we are saying.  You just like to latch on to some stupid piece of semantic to feel like your holding your own in this thread.  You're not.

(August 1, 2017 at 10:59 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(August 1, 2017 at 2:03 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: So...you're using your book to answer questions about your book, lol.  Got it.

The question I was answering is how do we know about God. I don't really see how your non-discussion, peanut-gallery-level comment applies.

And that's the problem.  You really don't see.

(August 1, 2017 at 11:11 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(August 1, 2017 at 5:26 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: That's right. The book is the claim, not the evidence.

There's a term for logic that asserts that the claim is the evidence; it's called circular reasoning.

You are wrong. The Claim is that the events outlined in the gospels really happened--one in particular: that Jesus Christ, the son of God, came to earth to redeem humanity and provide a way for people to have a relationship with God. The gospels catalog the claim. Acts gives researched historical data about the early church. The balance are letters discussing and applying the claim. A second point on this simplistic understanding: The NT consists of 27 different documents written over 50 years time (give or take). It's a little bit of an understatement to describe such a diverse collection of palaeographical gold as if it were one thing: the claim

There is also plenty of secondary and tertiary evidence I began to touch on above.

"Palaeological gold"?!  I wonder how many paleontologists agree...
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."  - Samuel Porter Putnam

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? - by Harry Nevis - August 2, 2017 at 7:49 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1310 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 5014 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 39288 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 29340 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Religious claims that get under your skin Abaddon_ire 59 7727 November 10, 2017 at 10:19 am
Last Post: emjay
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 21301 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6171 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 249320 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Witness/insight claims of the authors of the Bible emjay 37 6351 February 16, 2017 at 11:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  Evidence: The Gathering Randy Carson 530 94516 September 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: abaris