Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 12, 2024, 2:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
RE: Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
(August 2, 2017 at 3:05 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: Sorry, but there is no amount of textual material that can ever be good evidence for miracle, supernatural, god claims.

Well, there it is, folks. A refreshing piece of honesty. Atheists have no interest in evidence that does not already confirm their opinions.

(August 2, 2017 at 3:05 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: And of course, you are guilty of special pleading by not allowing for the same kind of evidence for other religions texts, besides your own.

Not true. Already answered here: https://atheistforums.org/thread-50195-p...pid1594726

(August 2, 2017 at 3:05 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: I can interview living people, some that have written books, that will attest to their alien abduction experiences. Most of them are honestly and sincerely reporting what they believe is the truth. Should I believe them? Do you?

Actually, I do. One report is an anecdote. Multiple reports are a case study. The nature of what they are actually experiencing is still up in the air because it is a strange mixture of physical events and consciousness effects. Hopefully, this reply doesn’t completely derail the thread. I’m just keeping an open mind about a very real phenomena that is largely not understood.

(August 2, 2017 at 3:05 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: Now, why when you move other supernatural stories 2000 years into the pre-scientific past, written decades or more after the alleged experiences, by non eyewitnesses, do supernatural stories become more credible?

I think it’s a total package of the kind SteveII mentioned earlier. The impeccable logic of Aquainas (Atheists say its debunked but no one on AF seems to know how) revealing a Philosopher’s god, coupled with historical accounts (sorry Simon, archeological finding almost always confirm the biblical accounts) , the promptings of the sensus divinitatis, and the testimony of changed lives all lead us to conclude that our faith is reasonable.

Hey SteveII and Roadrunner79, I'm really enjoying the group effort that reveals the sloppy thinking, uncritical acceptance of fringe NT scholarship, and reliance on stupid memes of atheistic skeptics.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? - by Neo-Scholastic - August 2, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1310 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 5014 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 39287 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 29340 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Religious claims that get under your skin Abaddon_ire 59 7727 November 10, 2017 at 10:19 am
Last Post: emjay
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 21301 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6171 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 249291 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Witness/insight claims of the authors of the Bible emjay 37 6351 February 16, 2017 at 11:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  Evidence: The Gathering Randy Carson 530 94514 September 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: abaris