Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 12, 2024, 3:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
RE: Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Most scholars believe that Mark was written by a second-generation Christian, around or shortly after the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the Second Temple in year 70.

The problem there is that "most scholars" grasp onto 70 because they are smart enough not to put any credence in the absurd concept of "prophecy."  This is designed to make them seem less stupid than the three shits who think that miracles are real in this thread.  The problem is whoever wrote what later came to be called the gospel of mark did not address the situation in 70.  Josephus recounts that the city was a burned out, sacked, pillaged, un populated shithole.  But it was not leveled.  In Mark 13 he has his godboy say that not one stone will remain upon another.  So 70 is the terminus a quo, the earliest possible date for the city being burned out by Titus' assault.  But that condition remained valid for 65 years.  In 135 Emperor Hadrian did, in fact, level the site and build the new city of Aelia Capitolina on the site of the former Jerusalem. 

So "mark" is recording an actual historical event.  Jerusalem was in fact leveled.  But you will wait a long time for any xtian shitwit to admit that their gospel bullshit did not begin ( and remember that 'mark' was first ) until after the Romans suppressed the bar Kokhba revolt.

I suppose they could suggest that mark was too fucking stupid to understand the difference between a burned-out set of ruins and a leveled site suitable for reconstruction.  I can't see them rushing to that, either.

I read in some news that a paper mache mummy's mask contained a significant fragment of Mark and was tentatively dated to around 70 AD. It's not a claim I'm well-qualified to evaluate, but for what it's worth.

pocaracas Wrote:If there is an entity out there that wishes me (and everyone else) to acknowledge its existence, then it should show itself to me (and everyone else)... I guess it could do it again and again, in every age... and all over the World. Certainly not beyond its claimed ability.

Not only not beyond its ability, it would be less than trivial requiring zero effort on the part of an omnipotent being, by definition.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? - by Mister Agenda - August 3, 2017 at 11:54 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1310 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 5014 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 39288 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 29340 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Religious claims that get under your skin Abaddon_ire 59 7727 November 10, 2017 at 10:19 am
Last Post: emjay
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 21301 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6171 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 249320 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Witness/insight claims of the authors of the Bible emjay 37 6351 February 16, 2017 at 11:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  Evidence: The Gathering Randy Carson 530 94516 September 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: abaris