Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 3, 2026, 4:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
On morality: Death vs extreme suffering
#10
RE: On morality: Death vs extreme suffering
Interesting. What about a painless death Vs a lifetime of suffering? And then TWO painless deaths vs a whole lifetime of suffering (a LOT of suffering) and then death?

I find these sort of decisions very difficult. And I think it's like making a choice between two really really bad options..

I find the topic to be interesting..it just came up in conversation @ secularchat.com a few days ago..
Suffering Vs absence of living. And fewer deaths with suffering Vs MORE deaths without any suffering at all.

It seems to me that Giff and Padriac differ to Adrian.. (unless I have understood incorrectly? Seems at least relatively straight forward there to me, the difference(s) that is).

I myself, I think, am at least leaning MORE towards Adrian's position - although something still doesn't 'feel right'.

Although I wouldn't expect it to!!

But I think since in both situations, since there is death anyway (as Adrian says) - when it comes down to it it is about the amount of suffering for me - and not preserving lives. Because once they are gone they won't feel any pain anyway. And I think it would be better for the greater number of people to simply no longer go on living (and die painlessly that is) - than for the fewer number of people to go on having absolutely horrific lives till death (or to simply suffer an absolutely horrific death.)

But if it actually came to making a decision, as I have said, I am sure I would think "Who am I to make such a decision?" and would very probably take no action at all (I think).

Besides, the emotions could effect my decision making. And I could also, basically, panic in such a situation. And panic always effects decision making.

That's in practical terms - if it actually came to making such a decision.

EvF
Reply



Messages In This Thread
RE: On morality: Death vs extreme suffering - by Edwardo Piet - May 9, 2009 at 3:15 pm
RE: On morality: Death vs extreme suffering - by Giff - May 14, 2009 at 4:02 am
RE: On morality: Death vs extreme suffering - by Giff - May 22, 2009 at 8:37 am
RE: On morality: Death vs extreme suffering - by Violet - January 27, 2010 at 5:22 pm
RE: On morality: Death vs extreme suffering - by Meatball - January 27, 2010 at 5:59 pm
RE: On morality: Death vs extreme suffering - by Watson - January 27, 2010 at 5:36 pm
RE: On morality: Death vs extreme suffering - by Violet - January 27, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the suffering worth it Ahriman 99 23913 August 21, 2023 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Brunei to Punish Adultery and Gay Sex With Death by Stoning Megabullshit 0 729 March 31, 2019 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Megabullshit
  Not another morality post!! Mechaghostman2 5 1964 February 18, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Dealing with a real Death Note robvalue 23 6887 June 13, 2018 at 8:02 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My extreme love for Walt Disney World Distheist 7 2598 February 3, 2018 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Religion Founders: Death Match! chimp3 17 4269 November 1, 2017 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  morality is subjective and people don't have free will Catholic_Lady 355 161275 June 6, 2017 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  The Betty White Death Pool Kitan Etos 17 6400 May 28, 2017 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I was looking at daily birth/death statistics Kitan Etos 8 2799 May 27, 2017 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Death Row Meal chimp3 54 12288 December 12, 2016 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Cecelia



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)