Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 11:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary?
RE: If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary?
(October 13, 2017 at 10:23 am)Harry Nevis Wrote:
(October 12, 2017 at 11:25 pm)speedyj1992 Wrote: Basically, we have order, and there was once chaos (in both the Big Bang model and the God model), but now we have order. If chaos can only breed more chaos, how do we have order? But if we have God, it would make sense that we would have order.

How juvenile.  "God" doesn't make sense in any context.

Please elaborate - does simply bringing up God make me "juvenile"? Is there really no context, PERIOD, in which the existence of God would make sense? Why or why not? I'd love to hear your perspectives and engage in an actual discussion.

(October 13, 2017 at 9:29 am)Mister Agenda Wrote:
speedyj1992 Wrote:I think you're taking the point I made and making it about something else, because that's not what I'm trying to get at - let's use "Doctor Who" as a springboard to form an example of what I'm trying to get at because of your screenname, and because I'm a nerd and understand things based on nerdy comparisons best because it makes me more engaged (plus, this will be more fun to write this way). 

Your typical DW episode is usually a (clever) variation on the Doctor and his companion (soon going to be "her", and I'm totally down with Jodie Whittaker, even if she's not ginger) coming to a place or time, learning a bit about it, seeing there's something wrong based on what they know, and then trying to save people. The Doctor will often say things such as, "No, this can't have happened like this" because of his extensive knowledge - he doesn't assume that something hasn't or has happened because of how it looks, but based on knowledge. Our knowledge of the universe's complexity seems to increase all the time, for the better in my opinion, and the more complicated it is, the more likely it is that it wasn't by chance. Because all these particles had to form in order for us to get really complex planets and LIFE all on its own, and we just don't se that happening today - a tornado can't form a Boeing 737 by chance even if it went through a bunch of junkyards with all the parts. 

I bolded the parts of your analogy that illustrate its ineptness. The Doctor bases his conclusions, on what he knows, not on appearances. That's the opposite of what you're doing. That chance can't account for complexity is not only an unsupported assertion it's contrary to observation. Chaos is more complex than order, and includes order. Chaos without any order would itself be a form of order that would have to be explained by an outside factor (chaos without any order is too consistent to be completely chaotic).

Life is based on organic chemistry not junk, and organic molecules behave very differently from pieces of junk. One of their defining characteristics is the capacity to spontaneously form complex polymers under certain conditions readily found in nature.

Why were you an atheist, anyway? I'd wager you didn't think your way into that position.

Are you saying you don't think I'd thought my way into atheism or theism? Because I've thought my way in and out of both, and what originally got me away from religion was actually a big lack of understanding the problems of evil and why God doesn't work in certain ways. 

Also, just pointing out that you actually helped to prove my point about how organic and inorganic chemistry are very different from each other. My first question to you is if you believe whether organic life emerged from inorganic matter OR whether you believe it was present from the beginning of the universe - because the first is not possible based on current research and the second is actually not that far from the idea of God existing from the beginning. Second question, if chaos and order have to exist together, where did the order come from?

(October 13, 2017 at 4:40 am)pocaracas Wrote:
(October 12, 2017 at 11:25 pm)speedyj1992 Wrote: Basically, we have order, and there was once chaos (in both the Big Bang model and the God model), but now we have order. If chaos can only breed more chaos, how do we have order? But if we have God, it would make sense that we would have order.

What is chaos?
"
Chaos theory is a branch of mathematics focused on the behavior of dynamical systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions. 'Chaos' is an interdisciplinary theory stating that within the apparent randomness of chaotic complex systems, there are underlying patterns, constant feedback loops, repetition, self-similarity, fractals, self-organization, and reliance on programming at the initial point known as sensitive dependence on initial conditions.
"

Do you suppose that our Universe was that sensitive to the initial conditions?
Could it have been any different, if not for the underlying hand of a guiding conscious entity?

If there is one guiding conscious entity, how did that one entity come about? What sort of dimensionality does it have? What sort of matter is it made of?
Are there more than one of it?

If the big bang marks the start of our spacetime, that means that time is meaningless without the big bang. How could an entity exist if no time exists? How could an entity generate a Universe, if no time exists for it to carry out an action?

In our Universe, as far as we can tell, much of the order we perceive comes by due to gravity. Gravity caused proton gas to contract beyond the fusion point thus lighting up the stars. Gravity comes from those protons' mass. Mass comes from energy, Energy comes from the Big Bang. The Big Bang comes from.... no one knows and anyone who claims to know is lying!
The current best guess relies on quantum fluctuations.
And everything works, no god is required to make it work.

Your definition of chaos is very strong, thank you for sharing it. As for how God came about, I just take His answer to Moses when asked His name in Exodus: "I AM WHO I AM." (from Exodus 3:14) God has always existed (and is the only one, also according to many references in the Bible, and it would make sense God created time to cause our existence because God exists outside of time, being omniscient), and I'll get more to how God always existing isn't that farfetched in a moment ...

Current evidence shows that abiogenesis (which is just life emerging from nonorganic matter) is impossible, so either life had to exist organically from the beginning or God existed from the beginning, unless we find something that suggests abiogenesis actually could've happened (the research on this is actually pretty interesting, you should look into Robert Hoyle and what his research, flawed as it was, looked at regarding experiments to generate proteins for DNA molecules from nothing). Either way, something had to exist from the beginning, and beleiving in

Messages In This Thread
RE: If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? - by speedyj1992 - October 18, 2017 at 2:52 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 14556 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 133 17472 December 16, 2022 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 14 1668 November 11, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  A Believer's Thoughts on Faith rlp21858 168 12617 July 9, 2022 at 3:43 pm
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 59420 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  Faith is Feelings zwanzig 44 4796 February 28, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 6949 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  why faith fails Drich 43 4639 January 23, 2020 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Haipule
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4878 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 9403 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII