Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 2:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Believer's Thoughts on Faith
A Believer's Thoughts on Faith
Moderator Notice
Post deleted. Please read our forum Rules. Under the bullet point 'Spamming', you will find that 'Posting an abundance of content you've written for purposes other than forum use' is considered spam and is not allowed.

Boru
RE: A Believer's Thoughts on Faith
My thoughts on faith is that such serves the emotional, psychological, social and sexual needs of individuals, and the anthropological, political and economic needs of societies. Of course, because a particular meme serves the needs of individuals & groups does not cause such to become true.
In response to the OPs long line of bovine excremen,t all faith is is something you hold to be true despite evidence to the contrary.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Oh no, not another christian rule breaker.

"Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's". Same rules that the tooth fairy follows.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
“Faith, n., Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel.” (Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's DictionaryRead
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
“Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.
The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.”

― Douglas Adams, 
I can see this being said about many people's demonstration of Christianity, but not when it's followed properly.
(June 28, 2022 at 5:44 am)rlp21858 Wrote: I can see this being said about many people's demonstration of Christianity, but not when it's followed properly.

So, what is it specifically that makes you a proper Christian?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I dont claim to have mastered being a Christian by any means, but I believe I am following it properly because it started with facing many of my worst fears. In fact, I registered here to talk with the members here because (ironically) I thought they would be a step ahead of the Church in this regard, having searched from the heart what they believe is true.
(June 28, 2022 at 5:56 am)rlp21858 Wrote: I dont claim to have mastered being a Christian by any means, but I believe I am following it properly because it started with facing many of my worst fears.  In fact, I registered here to talk with the members here because (ironically) I thought they would be a step ahead of the Church in this regard, having searched from the heart what they believe is true.

I think that facing fears via Christianity (or any other reward/punishment based religion), while obviously comforting, is pretty much giving in to your fears, not facing them. Kicking the can down the road, so to speak.

I tend to use my brain for determining what is true and my heart for pumping blood.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some Thoughts on the Goodness of God God_is_Good 49 1482 April 10, 2024 at 7:18 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Some thoughts on "god" The Valkyrie 19 396 April 5, 2024 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 12958 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 58392 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  Faith is Feelings zwanzig 44 4391 February 28, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 6052 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  why faith fails Drich 43 4338 January 23, 2020 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Haipule
  More thoughts about Immaculate Conception Graufreud 57 8469 July 31, 2018 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  The believer seems to know god better than he knows himself Foxaèr 43 8033 June 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Do my parents fear that I'll leave the faith? Der/die AtheistIn 120 22889 January 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire