Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 12:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Evidence for Multiverse from Planck Scientist
RE: New Evidence for Multiverse from Planck Scientist
(January 8, 2018 at 8:16 am)Agnosty Wrote:
(January 8, 2018 at 7:32 am)Grandizer Wrote: What's your logical argument in defense of that?
I posted the link originally that contain Nietzsche's line of thinking.  The only opposing argument has been invalidated by the fact that such an apparatus could not exist with the precision necessary in order to avoid the inevitable consequence of eternal return.  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_re...g_argument

This is an interesting read, as well, which explains the logic involved: http://theorangeduck.com/page/infinity-doesnt-exist

My bad. I unintentionally took your quote out of context then. I'll check the links soon. Just want to respond to the next points first.

Quote:Are you saying that even if I come back with the same dna and have all the same environmental influences in exactly the same way, that it's still possible that I won't be me?  I suppose that answers the teleportation question whether Spock is still Spock after being reassembled lol.

Who comes back again? You're already presuming it's you "coming back" instead of "someone else" coming into existence with the same DNA you had.

Quote:Well, to that I would have to wonder what it is, then, that exactly makes ME.  If not my atomic makeup and environment, then what?

That's what got Tim Urban from Wait But Why site all confused. Search for Wait But Why and the article about the self. That was one of the best reads I've ever enjoyed on the concept.

Personally, I think the self is an illusion as well, at the end of the day. But this is fun to think about nevertheless.

Quote:I agree that causality is an illusion; just didn't want to let the cat out of the bag yet.  Kudos!

So if causality doesn't exist, then where did the universe come from and what's our relationship to it?

What you're referring to "universe", I like to call "cosmos" to avoid equivocation with local universe.

In my current view (subject to change in light of better logic and/or confronting evidence), the cosmos has always been ("frozen" reality). And we are each (with our infinite time instances) part of various frozen "time moments" that comprise this frozen reality. We're not beyond the cosmos; we're confined to it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Evidence for Multiverse from Planck Scientist - by Grandizer - January 8, 2018 at 8:39 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2599 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3484 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1759 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4993 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8405 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2968 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The world's first scientist LinuxGal 8 1249 October 31, 2022 at 6:47 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1072 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  Legal evidence of atheism Interaktive 16 2680 February 9, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Evidence for Believing Lek 368 51139 November 14, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII