Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence for Believing
Evidence for Believing
I've been asked a zillion times in this forum to give evidence for why I believe in God and each time the questioner comes back and tells me that's not real evidence.   Here's the situation.  We have a being who is supernatural.  He/She/It can exist without the need to obey any natural laws and therefore, cannot be understood or explained by natural or scientific means.  

I always reply that I believe because God has directly impressed me with the awareness of his existence.  I list supporting factors as the witness of other believers, evidence of ghosts and other supernatural phenomena, etc.  A very conservative estimate of the number of people in the world today who believe in God, in this scientific age, is five billion.  These people are from every profession and walk of life.

If God directly illuminates me through supernatural means which cannot be tested by any natural means, how can I give you any other solid evidence other than to relate my experience?  You might say I'm suffering from a delusion, but I have no other history of delusions and billions of others who have no history of delusions also believe in God.  Billions of these people are moderately or well-educated and realize that the earth revolves around the sun, as you do.

Why don't you accept this as evidence for God?
RE: Evidence for Believing
God just told me that you were full of shit.

What...don't believe me?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I do not believe you, Lek.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

It would be amazing if Lek believed Lek.  People who think that the christian god has directly spoken to them..about anything, are very very rare. As are christian god believers who believe that god speaks to anyone directly.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 18, 2019 at 6:37 pm)Lek Wrote: I've been asked a zillion times in this forum to give evidence for why I believe in God and each time the questioner comes back and tells me that's not real evidence.   Here's the situation.  We have a being who is supernatural.  He/She/It can exist without the need to obey any natural laws and therefore, cannot be understood or explained by natural or scientific means.  

I always reply that I believe because God has directly impressed me with the awareness of his existence.  I list supporting factors as the witness of other believers, evidence of ghosts and other supernatural phenomena, etc.  A very conservative estimate of the number of people in the world today who believe in God, in this scientific age, is five billion.  These people are from every profession and walk of life.

If God directly illuminates me through supernatural means which cannot be tested by any natural means, how can I give you any other solid evidence other than to relate my experience?  You might say I'm suffering from a delusion, but I have no other history of delusions and billions of others who have no history of delusions also believe in God.  Billions of these people are moderately or well-educated and realize that the earth revolves around the sun, as you do.

Why don't you accept this as evidence for God?

The highlighted part

There is not such thing as "supernatural", and an idiot excuse for avoidance what is clearly stated by the natural.
If we're taking the time to be thorough, all of it, lol.

First, there is no situation that we have.  That's just a description of your beliefs.  Next, you don't believe because a god injected godknowledge into you.  That, again, is just what you believe, not why you believe it.  Being very generous and assuming that you aren't engaged in pious prattle or flat out lying your balls off....you clearly don't have any idea what..if anything, actually happened to you.  Then we have this vague reference to billions of believers.  Well.  1.8 muslims, so no jesus, right?  Is that not evidence?  1.1 hindus.  Elephant god, and all the rest.

..........1.2atheist, agnostic, or secular. 

Do -you-, Lek, take this as evidence?
If any god wanted me to believe in them they would reveal themselves to me in a convincing way. Cornball anecdotes from god addled believers don't do it for me.

Simply put, I don’t accept it for the same reasons you don’t accept similar claims by people of other religions as proof of their gods.
Dying to live, living to die.
I'm not talking about just Jesus, Allah, Brahman, etc. I'm talking about God. So you think billions of educated, non-delusional people are stupid, mistaken or delusional. You are smarter and more perceptive than the vast majority of past and present day people?
(September 18, 2019 at 7:13 pm)Lek Wrote: I'm not talking about just Jesus, Allah, Brahman,  etc.   I'm talking about God.  So you think billions of educated,  non-delusional people are stupid, mistaken or delusional.  You are smarter and more perceptive than the vast majority of past and present day people?

Less gullible anyway.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2380 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3099 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1567 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4540 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 7392 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2716 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1013 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?" Macoleco 25 1780 May 1, 2021 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Legal evidence of atheism Interaktive 16 2506 February 9, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
Information The Best Logique Evidence of God Existence Nogba 225 22999 August 2, 2019 at 11:44 am
Last Post: comet