Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 12:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Evidence for Multiverse from Planck Scientist
RE: New Evidence for Multiverse from Planck Scientist
(January 10, 2018 at 6:29 am)Agnosty Wrote: In your reasoning, you may not be considering that ALL possibilities will repeat infinitely.  That means it doesn't matter what you choose to do because you will do all of them (if it's possible and if you're causally determined - ie no freewill).

If you have freewill, then it's all moot because freewill isn't causally determined.  But then you have to explain where the freewill came from (ie something from nothing because freewill cannot be caused).

We can escape all those problems by simply dismissing causality.  There are no things, events and there is just the 1 thing and the 1 now, both of which last eternally because we've dismissed causality as ridiculous.

What I meant was more along the lines of this:

Quote:In the aftermath of Nehamas (1985), an influential line of readings has argued that the thought to which Nietzsche attributed such “fundamental” significance was never a cosmological or theoretical claim at all—whether about time, or fate, or the world, or the self—but instead a practical thought experiment designed to test whether one’s life has been good. The broad idea is that one imagines the endless return of life, and one’s emotional reaction to the prospect reveals something about how valuable one’s life has been, much as ... a spouse’s question about whether one would marry again evokes—and indeed, fairly demands—an assessment of the state of the marriage
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/nietz...erRecuSame

So, in one reading, the eternal recurrence is a thought experiment through which one might assess the state of one's own life. You can read it as a metaphysical postulate, as many have done. But I think more value lies in taking it as a thought experiment.

I believe choices have causes, so I tend toward hard incompatibilism. If that's not true then it's probably compatibilism. Contemporary libertarianism is confused hogwash. I'm not sure how the free will debate factors in to all this, though. I don't think that libertarianism denies causality per se. 

I liked the stuff about dismissing causality. But I'm one to dismiss such a staple of my everyday existence.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Evidence for Multiverse from Planck Scientist - by vulcanlogician - January 10, 2018 at 7:03 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2599 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3481 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1759 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4990 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8399 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2967 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The world's first scientist LinuxGal 8 1249 October 31, 2022 at 6:47 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1072 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  Legal evidence of atheism Interaktive 16 2680 February 9, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Evidence for Believing Lek 368 51124 November 14, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII