Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 11:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic
RE: Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic
(March 10, 2018 at 2:42 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(March 10, 2018 at 1:11 pm)SteveII Wrote: Nope. I am not making an argument (just picking one apart). So, I make no assertions. Mathilda originally said that God does not make sense because all intelligence is subject to the law of thermodynamics. My point was and is that if God exists, he is by definition an exception.

Your assertion is that god is intelligent. So yes, there is an assertion AND a contradiction here. You are assigning a physical property to a non-physical entity. If god, by definition, is supernatural and immaterial, how can he possess a quality (intelligence) that is rooted in the physical, material processes of a physical, material brain, within a physical, material universe? I’m simply asking you to explain how; to support your assertion. The answer you gave was, ‘because he’s god.’  That’s a non-answer. It elucidates nothing.

Quote:That might be a point if I was making an argument that contained those components. I know better. You are confusing an argument with try to explain what the meaning of a couple of words are, like 'supernatural'. By pointing out that Mathilda's claim is flawed, unknowable, and her conclusion is an argument from ignorance is not the same thing as making my own argument. Go ahead, show me where I made an argument with a premise and conclusion that I can't defend (definition of an assertion).

Are you not at least making an assertion that god is intelligent?

No. I responded to her demand of giving an example of some intelligence that was not subject to the law of thermodynamics. I said that by definition God was an exception. I have made no positive argument for God--only pointing out that all her argument does is insist that I have to. 

Quote:
Quote:The definition of God guarantees an exception to the law of physics. I don't have to explain definitions.

Sure.  So, why should we take seriously the positing of an entity that, by definition, requires no explanation for its alleged attributes and powers, if it can’t even be demonstrated to exist?

It does not have to come to this every time we discuss the concept of God. Actually, it is a rather unsophisticated (I'm being charitable) to demand proof all the end of every sentence about God. 

Quote:
Quote:Consider this conversation:  [snipped for brevity]

Quote:Well, for starters

1. "Throwing" is an activity involving matter.
2. "Air" actually is matter
3. "Gravity" would not have an effect on something supernatural

So, by definition alone, I can rule out your analogy. But it does serve to illustrate my complaint about Mathilda's comments. She demands that I defend definitions. I don't have to. She can't show that the concept of 'God' or 'supernatural' is problematic. She is stuck with the possibility that these are exceptions. I don't have to prove their existence to point out these are exceptions. She keeps demanding why? By definition.
The analogous point in my example is that I am asserting a thing exists, and following up by saying that the thing I allege exists requires no explanation, and cannot be understood.  On those terms, should anyone take seriously my claim that a Flim Flam exists at all?

But as you know, I can give a list of common reasons and arguments why it is reasonable to believe God exists. I can't be derailing every conversation by posting my list. A 'flim falm' is not an analogy because it does not have a list of reason nor are there billions who would give personal experience testimony to its existence.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic - by SteveII - March 11, 2018 at 9:01 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 790 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Photo The atrocities of religiosity warrant our finest. Logic is not it Ghetto Sheldon 86 5673 October 5, 2021 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Disproving God Mechaghostman2 158 31637 July 14, 2021 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 28540 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Disproving the christian (and muslim) god I_am_not_mafia 106 27941 March 15, 2018 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  a challenge All atheists There is inevitably a Creator. Logic says that suni_muslim 65 14865 November 28, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  What is logic? Little Rik 278 56033 May 1, 2017 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  What is your Opinion on Having Required Classes in Logic in Schools? Salacious B. Crumb 43 9378 August 4, 2015 at 12:01 am
Last Post: BitchinHitchins
  Arguing w/ Religious Friends z7z 14 3464 June 5, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Logic vs Evidence dimaniac 34 12908 November 25, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: bennyboy