Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 9:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic
RE: Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic
(March 11, 2018 at 3:13 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: First of all you and Min's mistake is assuming that because I believe what she says about her experience 50+ years ago, that I somehow associate with her 100%, I referenced her because it was the shortest video I could find, there are plenty of eye witness testimony but those videos range anywhere from 30 min to 2 hours... you guys struggle with anything over 2 mins.

If you knew anything about William Branhams teachings, you'd know that he spoke against women preaching, wearing pants, and cutting their hair (all biblically based), Marilyn Hickey does all three, so she obviously doesn't adhere to Branhams teachings, she just happened to attend one of his services a long time ago.

But like I said, I could provide witness testimony all day, How about congressman Upshaw?

Congressman Upshaw had been on crutches for 59 years, and this is Upshaw's own testimony which was written in the above tract.
Quote:I walked into that Branham-Baxter meeting in Calvary Temple, Los Angeles, loving God and His blessed Word, leaning on my crutches that had been my “buddies”-my helpful comrades for 59 of my 66 years as a cripple-7 of those years spend on bed; I walked out that night of February 8th, leaving my crutches on the platform – the song of deliverance ringing in my heart in happy consonance with the should sof victory from those who thronged about me – their tears of rejoicing crystal with the light of the skies’ chief among them was my blessed wife whose dear face, glowing amid her joyous exclamations: “Praise the Lord” and “Glory to God,” was beaming like a patch of Heaven.

(March 11, 2018 at 3:11 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Whether you would attribute real miraculous healing to god working through a human agent, a magician, or Odin, is irrelevant.  To demononstate a miracle you must first demonstrate that there is a miracle. That requires eliminating the possibility of natural causes.

You are assuming the agency of god without first eliminating natural causes.  I've shown that there are natural causes (i.e. faking) in many cases.  So you must first eliminate the chance of faking in any particular case you would show as proof.   You can't do that with just film and/or eyewitness testimony.   Lying by both the healed and the healer is a common kind of fakery.  So is the power of suggestion, leading questions, vauge statements,  pre-healing screenings, and just knowing that most of the audience came to be healed of something.

It's as if even though you are sure that most of the time a 747 flies because natural forces, because the pilot says the last one was god, you believe it was god.  If the flight is the same to all appearances as every other flight, his word means nothing.  If the plane hovered dead still in the air for 30 minutes we can talk about the supernatural.

Or better yet, what about the magician who says, but this time I really did pull a coin from someone's ear?

See above

I see one more personal testimony. And no, being a senitor does it make him a better witness. Show me a case that can be proven not to be fake. Hint: given the prevalence of fakery, delusion, and lying, you'll need controlled circumstances. For some reason faith healing never works under controlled circumstances.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic - by Jenny A - March 11, 2018 at 4:19 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 803 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Photo The atrocities of religiosity warrant our finest. Logic is not it Ghetto Sheldon 86 5723 October 5, 2021 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Disproving God Mechaghostman2 158 31691 July 14, 2021 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 28757 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Disproving the christian (and muslim) god I_am_not_mafia 106 27977 March 15, 2018 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  a challenge All atheists There is inevitably a Creator. Logic says that suni_muslim 65 14953 November 28, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  What is logic? Little Rik 278 56432 May 1, 2017 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  What is your Opinion on Having Required Classes in Logic in Schools? Salacious B. Crumb 43 9391 August 4, 2015 at 12:01 am
Last Post: BitchinHitchins
  Arguing w/ Religious Friends z7z 14 3468 June 5, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Logic vs Evidence dimaniac 34 12921 November 25, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: bennyboy