Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 1:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic
RE: Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic
(March 13, 2018 at 9:58 am)SteveII Wrote:
(March 12, 2018 at 10:19 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: A clarification here because I realize my wording was unclear.  What I meant was, by definition, god needs no explanation.  Additionally, he cannot be demonstrated to exist.  

God could certainly demonstrate his existence by coming to earth and telling everyone.  I’m not sure why he doesn’t do it right now as I’m typing this. I’m not sure why he would do it just the one time, and then expect every human on earth going forward to simply accept the Bible at its word.  The Bible is not a demonstration of god.  It’s a claim about a god.  If god could be demonstrated to exist, we’d ALL be theists.

So, you’re asking me to rationally accept a thing that:

1. cannot be demonstrated and...

First, I am not asking you to accept anything.

Correct.  Sloppy choice of words on my part.  I know that you, as an individual, aren’t trying to convince me.  

My opinion is that the proposition of god as an answer, should be wholly unsatisfying to the human mind.  The positing of an entity, the substance and mechanics of which, by its very definition are not explainable, isn’t an actual explanation.  An answer that generates exponentially more questions in its wake should be considered woefully inadequate. To me, such a proposition is a placeholder for the unknown, not an explanation of it.

I agree with you that descriptions like, “cannot be known”, and “does not require an explanation” are internally consistent with the definition of god. My point is, why would anyone accept a not-explainable thing as an answer?  I don’t understand this line of reasoning at all.

Quote:Second, you use the word 'demonstrate'. I have listed countless times reasons why people believe there is a God. These reasons 'demonstrate' the concept to be rationale. You cannot say any of them are false. So what you are actually saying is that these reasons (as you understand them--which is a very important point) haven't met your standards to believe. That's fine. But what you cannot say is that I have not demonstrated...period.

Oh, come now, Steve.  You know as well as I do that demonstrating a logical argument for the concept of an entity is not the same thing as demonstrating the entity itself.  You, yourself have said that you cannot logically argue things into existence.

Quote:There is nothing incoherent about the God of Christianity. If you think so, I will need a specific point to address.

What he’s made of, and how he functions are unknowable and not explainable.  Those are your words.

Quote:You can't get around it: If the God of Christianity exists, he would be the explanation of all our reality -- it follows by definition. There is no trick here. Any atheist philosopher would admit this. This puts you right back at the beginning of your question 1.

And, I think you are playing fast and loose with the definition of the word, “explanation”.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic - by LadyForCamus - March 13, 2018 at 12:31 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 790 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Photo The atrocities of religiosity warrant our finest. Logic is not it Ghetto Sheldon 86 5690 October 5, 2021 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Disproving God Mechaghostman2 158 31648 July 14, 2021 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 28597 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Disproving the christian (and muslim) god I_am_not_mafia 106 27951 March 15, 2018 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  a challenge All atheists There is inevitably a Creator. Logic says that suni_muslim 65 14878 November 28, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  What is logic? Little Rik 278 56090 May 1, 2017 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  What is your Opinion on Having Required Classes in Logic in Schools? Salacious B. Crumb 43 9381 August 4, 2015 at 12:01 am
Last Post: BitchinHitchins
  Arguing w/ Religious Friends z7z 14 3464 June 5, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Logic vs Evidence dimaniac 34 12911 November 25, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: bennyboy