Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 7:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic
RE: Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic
(March 27, 2018 at 2:18 pm)Jenny A Wrote: I'm sure you are frustrated. You have at least two category errors. Whenever this is pointed out to you, you return to the Aristitileon categories of cause which are at least in part the cause of your category error.

1. What Do You Mean By Exist?
The first catagory error is equating the existence of physical objects, energy, with the existence of ideas. These are two very different meanings of the word "exist."
To see how different they are, all you have to do is ask where does it exist?

- My emphasis -

Existence has always been a term of art in philosophy, but by insisting that the defining feature of existence is having a spatial location begs the question by excluding any other definition of existence that does not rely on physical properties – what the Scholastics called sensible bodies because these are known to the senses as bodies. What you take issue is with is the notion of intelligible objects and are simply attempting to define them away .

(March 27, 2018 at 2:18 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Where is the English language? Where is The Pythagorean Theorem? Or where is Beethoven's Fifth are not. At best you might say Engish is spoken in these places, or Pythagoras's Theorim is set out in my math book, or my score of the Fifth is over there on the desk. But that's only physical places where the ideas are recorded. They don't exist except as recorded in a brain or some other physical object.

Those are all good questions. The examples you gave reveal the limitations of your definition of existence. You will only acknowledge that things are real, if and only if, they can have an independent existence. Ignoring for the moment their subtle differences, your insistence that immaterial things like language, music, and mathematics only exist in some material form is only half right. Objective things can be real and distinguishable even if they cannot be alienable. The very fact that meaning can be conveyed in various languages , in writing or through speech, and recorded in different media only shows that meaning is something distinctly real apart from the material in which it manifests.

You can ask any group of third-graders to go out and find triangular things, or metallic things, or wedges, or bakery goods. And they will return with things that are objectively manifest things with real forms, real materials, real purposes, and real origins.

You see, materiality and extension in time and space are just two objective properties among others. Like all the others these appear to be inalienable from sensible bodies. Material and efficient causes are as much abstractions as formal and final ones. There is no metallic object that does not manifest to greater or lesser degree a form.

(March 27, 2018 at 2:18 pm)Jenny A Wrote: 2. What Do You Mean By Begin to Exist?

This is because all physical objects have a material cause in the Aristitileon sense of the word, that is to say they are made of something. And when we say something begins to be an elephant we mean that the matter out of which the elephant is made took the form of an elephant. We don't mean new matter popped into existence and became an elephant.

That’s true the elephant did not begin to exist until some matter took the form of an elephant. But the elephant’s existence is more than just the matter of which it is made. In fact, the matter out of which it is made will change as the elephant grows from conception through its maturity. And upon death the matter will remain even after the elephant has ceased to exist. That’s all we have been saying. The existence of the elephant began at some point and ended at some later point.

Any theory of existence must account for something, like an elephant, to persist in its existence despite undergoing change. Limiting yourself to only material and efficient causes cannot account for either.

Unfortunately, that’s all I have time for today, JennyA. I wish I had time to explain more about intelligible objects.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic - by Neo-Scholastic - March 28, 2018 at 2:16 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 803 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Photo The atrocities of religiosity warrant our finest. Logic is not it Ghetto Sheldon 86 5722 October 5, 2021 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Disproving God Mechaghostman2 158 31691 July 14, 2021 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 28757 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Disproving the christian (and muslim) god I_am_not_mafia 106 27977 March 15, 2018 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  a challenge All atheists There is inevitably a Creator. Logic says that suni_muslim 65 14953 November 28, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  What is logic? Little Rik 278 56432 May 1, 2017 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  What is your Opinion on Having Required Classes in Logic in Schools? Salacious B. Crumb 43 9389 August 4, 2015 at 12:01 am
Last Post: BitchinHitchins
  Arguing w/ Religious Friends z7z 14 3468 June 5, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Logic vs Evidence dimaniac 34 12921 November 25, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: bennyboy