Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 20, 2024, 6:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berkeley's argument for the existence of God
RE: Berkeley's argument for the existence of God
(March 30, 2018 at 11:19 am)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(March 30, 2018 at 10:52 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Not to trawl back through yesterday's fun times, but I still just don't see how this argument is useful, meaningful, or enlightening about reality at all (let alone the existence of a god), especially considering how much more we know about reality nowadays.

FWIW its utility is in plotting out what we actually know about the real universe. It is asking, "If the material world exists, what evidence is there for that? Could it all be ideas?" It's always nice to question one's own assumptions, and that is a major part of a philosopher's work.

It's an investigation into the very foundations of knowledge. The answer to Berkeley's question is meaningful or enlightening no matter how you slice it.

As to "useful"... who knows? It is a search for knowledge. In a quest for knowledge it is often difficult to see what utility the knowledge you are looking for has. For instance, astrophysicists and cosmologists study the cosmic background radiation in an attempt to work out what happened after the big bang. How is that useful to know?

You can't say to an astrophysicist, "Show me how this is going to be useful information and THEN we will allow you to look for the answers." If that had happened, Galileo would have been prevented from proving that the earth revolved around the sun. After all, how useful is that bit of information to a 17th century European? We use that information for a lot of things now, but it would have been hard to argue back then how such information would have proved beneficial to the life of the average person.

The ideas discussed are interesting, and potentially useful, but he's only doing so as a smokescreen before throwing a "God" in at the end. If he cut that crap out it could become a worthy discussion, but it would have nothing to do with his desired conclusion.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Messages In This Thread
RE: Berkeley's argument for the existence of God - by robvalue - March 30, 2018 at 12:35 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The modal ontological argument for God Disagreeable 29 886 August 10, 2024 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: CuriosityBob
  Proving the Existence of a First Cause Muhammad Rizvi 3 886 June 23, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The existence of God smithd 314 26156 November 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 2319 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A 'proof' of God's existence - free will mrj 54 7911 August 9, 2020 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 3483 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 9441 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 15184 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 48834 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  A good argument for God's existence (long but worth it) Mystic 179 36389 October 26, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0