Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 9:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Van Tillian/Clarkian Presuppositional Apologetics.
RE: Van Tillian/Clarkian Presuppositional Apologetics.
(September 1, 2011 at 3:35 am)Ryft Wrote: Now if that were the sort of deity I was talking about then your point would find its mark. However, my argument regards the God who is revealed in Scripture; if such a God should remove his influence from our universe then everything that is not God—absolutely everything—would cease to exist. But logic would not, though, for it is grounded in the nature and character of God; all the attributes of his essence share in the necessity and immutability that constitutes his being. Logic is not an artifact of divine fiat, something God decided might be a good idea to create, but is an attribute of divine being. This is why I said that logic "cannot be arbitrary and cannot fail to be necessarily true, as God himself is necessary being."
I understand that you do not beleive this would be the action of the revealed god of scripture. I am merely referring to logical possibilities. If logic depends on gods existence, then it is contingent and not necessary, using the term "grounded in the very nature" cannot just bootstrap it into place. If he is omnipotent he can remove himself from our universe, given he created it, but also leave it in a self sustaining state. If he is capable of doing that then logic would disappear from the universe along with god. This seems a horribly incoherent scenario. I suppose in short, it is incoherent to deny logic, but not to deny that god exists. How can this be the case if logic depends on god?

(September 1, 2011 at 3:35 am)Ryft Wrote: Answering the question of how this is known is probably too large and complex to answer appropriately and sufficiently in a forum post..... I would recommend John Frame's Doctrine of the Knowledge of God (P&R Publishing, 1987); I would even recommend Cornelius Van Til's A Survey of Christian Epistemology, 2nd ed. (P&R Publishing, 1980). You will not only understand the terms of this philosophical system but also what it means for God to be the final reference point of predication ("ground") and how it is we know.
Yes you are probably right and thank you for the references, which I have breifly looked at, but not studied; you will have to forgive me if my knoweldge seems rudimentary. I understand your position after making the assumption that the claims of xtian presuppositionalism are axiomatic. But they do not seem to be axiomatic on first reading. My understanding of axioms is that must be irreducible, self evident and undeniable. The god of scripture seems to fail all of these in that:

- Jesus can be reduced to the godhead, the godhead to a mind, minds to ? (depends on your view at this point)
- god is not self evident to all acts of cognition. Unless you are to argue that anyone who does not accept orthodox xtianity is in some way sick
- god is not undeniable. Arguments can be constructed which deny his existence and do not lead to a direct contradiction. In addition other faiths can take the same route and argue that they are true, by presupposing their revleations are true.

It seems a terribly weak place to start which undermines the whole of the subsequent epistomolgy you claim. Is it merely a matter of faith that makes this so for you?

(September 1, 2011 at 3:35 am)Ryft Wrote: is not a character God has. Rather, it is God's nature and character taken as a whole that grounds logic. In other words, it is not some part of God that grounds logic but the whole of God, the unity of his nature and character...
But this seems to send the argument into a circular tailspin, ie it is logically impossible for the nature of god not to include logic, becuase of the nature of god etc...
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Van Tillian/Clarkian Presuppositional Apologetics. - by Captain Scarlet - September 7, 2011 at 3:31 am
RE: Van Tillian/Clarkian Presuppositional Apologetics. - by Sam - September 10, 2011 at 7:47 pm
RE: Van Tillian/Clarkian Presuppositional Apologetics. - by Ryft - September 16, 2011 at 12:42 am
RE: Van Tillian/Clarkian Presuppositional Apologetics. - by Ryft - September 18, 2011 at 12:19 am
RE: Van Tillian/Clarkian Presuppositional Apologetics. - by Sam - September 27, 2011 at 9:57 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credible/Honest Apologetics? TheJefe817 212 21511 August 8, 2022 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Let's see how many apologetics take the bait Joods 127 19072 July 16, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Ignorant apologetics aside, your god does not exist. Foxaèr 10 2555 April 16, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Priestly apologetics in a sermon this a.m. drfuzzy 13 3207 April 1, 2016 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Thoughts on Atheism and Apologetics Randy Carson 105 18960 July 4, 2015 at 5:39 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Non-fundamentalist apologetics is about obfuscation RobbyPants 6 2220 May 9, 2015 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Church Van Crashes, 8 Dead AFTT47 38 7259 April 1, 2015 at 9:42 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  GOOD Apologetics? ThePinsir 31 6607 January 28, 2014 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Apologetics Psychonaut 9 2990 October 1, 2013 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Apologetics blog domain name John V 54 19280 August 13, 2013 at 11:04 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox