Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 2:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Iowa Law Restricts Abortion To Before Most Women Know They're Pregnant
RE: New Iowa Law Restricts Abortion To Before Most Women Know They're Pregnant
(May 15, 2018 at 6:06 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: When you have to mid-represent the other side with such a bad false dichotomy, I think that is a major indication about your position.

Like you don't misrepresent the opposing position.

Look, RR. I don't think anyone here is trying to make abortion out in any way a good thing. I, personally, am appalled at the number of abortions occur in this country. We are, if not the highest, then among the highest in abortions per capita in the developed world. But, I also believe in the inviolable right to bodily autonomy. That right trumps your desire to enforce your brand of morality on others. Abortion is a tragedy, but it's her fucking body and her fucking choice. Judging by some of your comments in this thread, you're among those that believe there is no reason beyond threat of life to the mother to sanction abortion. Are you going to be the one to tell the 13-year old girl that she has to carry her rapists, or her father's or brother's, baby because her "emotional distress" isn't important enough?
(May 15, 2018 at 6:06 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: As well it would be stipulated that emotional distress, does not constitute an immediate medical danger, which constitutes fetal homicide.
(emphasis is mine)
If you're truly as cold hearted as this stance make you appear, I hope to never meet you in real life and I hope you never find yourself in a position where you can enact laws.

Yes, abortion is a tragedy. But not as great a tragedy as the suffering that would come from the draconian laws you seem to support. I'll say it again. Her body, her choice, and her choice is none of your fucking business. Neither are her reasons. Whether it's not being financially secure enough for a kid, not being emotionally ready, health concerns, rape, incest or just plain birth control failure, they're her reasons and are none of your fucking business. She's making what may be the toughest, most gut wrenching decision she'll likely ever make in her life and you want to legislate it.

You want to stop abortions? Maybe you should write your congressman and state representative and tell them to make certain that every school in the country be required to teach comprehensive sexual education, to include the on demand distribution of non-prescription prophylactics. Perhaps you could volunteer to help teach that. Maybe donate to researchers who are looking for better birth control, for men and women, because as long as people can have sex without a 100% method of preventing pregnancies, there are going to continue to be unwanted pregnancies.

I abhor abortion. But, I also recognize it's necessity in reducing the overall harm in our society and illegalizing it would increase, not decrease, that level of harm.

You can go back to slinging emotionally charged bullshit like "baby murder" now, but I hope I've at least given you food for thought
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Iowa Law Restricts Abortion To Before Most Women Know They're Pregnant - by Ravenshire - May 16, 2018 at 9:40 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trans women banned from world chess LinuxGal 37 3077 October 15, 2023 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  MA publishes database of law enforcement disciplinary actions Nanny 0 440 August 22, 2023 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Women's Rights Lek 314 20320 April 25, 2023 at 5:22 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  If Abortion Becomes Illegal onlinebiker 36 2867 May 8, 2022 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Buy the new US military rifle before the troops get them onlinebiker 35 2066 April 25, 2022 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  The far right thinking they know pronouns Foxaèr 6 363 May 27, 2021 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Arkansas abortion bill, Roe vs. Wade brewer 23 1342 March 17, 2021 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Break any law if it’s for Jesus Fake Messiah 0 159 March 17, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Serious] G-20 leaders, don’t forget the women’s rights advocates rotting in Saudi prisons WinterHold 47 2331 September 23, 2020 at 6:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Inspired by Iowa, Georgian Theocrats Perform Statewide Bible Reading in County Seats Secular Elf 6 442 July 20, 2020 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda