Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 5:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extremists: a question and a talk
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk
(July 16, 2018 at 5:29 am)AtlasS33 Wrote:
(July 16, 2018 at 2:28 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: So, in other words, by pretending you were responding to the video, you were essentially lying.  Gotcha.  I think I understand what you call honest scholarship now.
No, it meant that I know this argument already; responded to it a lot in here too.
Cherry picking vocabulary from verses that involve "orders of killing somebody else" or "orders of mutilating people" is not a hard job with the Quran. But books are not about the vocabulary; they are about the context built by the vocabulary. This argument is the same broken record repeated from the days of Ahmed Deedat:

My God, Atlas, you've actually found a Muslim apologist whose arguments are worse than yours!  What, am I supposed to be impressed?  This video doesn't answer dick.

Quote:What I see is that the context you provided, surah 9:8, refers to the polytheists, whereas surah 9:29 is referring to those who "were given the scripture," which refers to the Jews and Christians, not the polytheists.  Moreover, even with respect to the polytheists, Mohammad says, "So fulfill the treaty with them to the end of its term....[but] When the Sacred Months have passed, kill the polytheists wherever you find them. And capture them, and besiege them, and lie in wait for them at every ambush."  That isn't any kind of defensive action at all, and the surahs you quote as "context" are merely justification for open warfare.  Regardless, this is about surah 9:29, and the context you provided is talking about a different group.   The context is clear, Mohammad is denying the polytheists access to the sacred mosque, and in order to make up the lost income, he proposes war on the Jews and Christians.

So, no, he didn't cherry pick anything.

Mohammed -peace be upon him- was ordered to ambush and fight the polytheists who fought him indeed, but he was also ordered -in the next verse- to spare any polytheist that came in peace:

Quote:Sura 9, The Quran:

Mohammed made a treaty with the heathens of Mecca, he also made a treaty with the "Jews and Christians" at Medinah -which the jews broke; I even posted the link for it from wikipedia in the previous comment to you-:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banu_Quray...the_Trench

Quote: Wrote:Tensions quickly mounted between the growing numbers of Muslims and Jewish tribes, while Muhammad found himself at war with his native Meccan tribe of the Quraysh. In 624, after his victory over the Meccans in the Battle of Badr, Banu Qaynuqa threatened Muhammad's political position and assaulted a Muslim woman which led to their expulsion from Medina for breaking the peace treaty of Constitution of Medina.[32][33] The Qurayza remained passive during the whole Qaynuqa affair, apparently because the Qaynuqa were historically allied with the Khazraj, while the Qurayza were the allies of the Aws.[34]

That's why the Jewish war tribes were fought. I should also mention that they entered an alliance with the heathens of Mecca -Mohammed's arch enemies-:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Trench

Oh bullshit, Atlas.  First of all, the treaty was broken by one tribe of Jews, and didn't involve the Christians at all.  Second, the timeline simply doesn't support you, as it's well known what the circumstances surrounding the revelation of surah 9 were, and it was not related to the battle of the trench.  The battle of the trench occurred in 627.  Mohammad's unsuccessful expedition to Tabuk occurred three years later in 630, and it was around that time that the surah was revealed.  The Tabuk expedition was two years after even the fighting at Kaibar and involved the Byzantines, not the Jews.  You're mushing together entirely separate events in order to try to draw a connection between them, and it simply doesn't work.  Either you're ignorant of these facts and are simply laboring under false information imparted to you by other dishonest Muslim apologists, or you yourself are intentionally misrepresenting events hoping that I like many would not be familiar with the facts.  As a matter of history, Mohammad desired to expel the Christians and Jews from the entire Arabian peninsula.  That, and a need for more income, drove the revelation of surahs 9:28-33.

Quote:It's always somebody else's fault, isn't it, Atlas?  I'm getting sick of your tu quoque arguments, your lies, and your attempts to twist scripture to fit your modernist narrative.  You're full of shit.  You didn't watch the video.  You didn't refute his arguments.  You didn't provide any justifying context for surah 9:29.  And you didn't provide any justification for Mohammad's ruthless behavior ("There has certainly been for you in the Messenger of Allah an excellent pattern for anyone whose hope is in Allah and the Last Day and [who] remembers Allah often." Surah 33:21).

The reason I hold to this religion so much is my despise for the level of cruelty the modern human reached; being born today doesn't mean that I forgot what happened 80 years ago.

I'm seeing the pattern of a man who broke treaties when a single woman of his people got hurt, also I'm seeing a man who "gave peace to confused enemies" just like Sura 9:6 foretold, that's a one fine pattern, better than tactical bombings, nuclear bombs, generating money out of thin air, right?

and all of that before 1400 years. It wasn't him, it was the orders of God though.

You're a part of the problem, Atlas, not the solution.  This kind of lex talionis justice and blood feuding is a cause, not an answer.  You're just perpetuating it.

Quote:You're full of shit to the core, Atlas.

Btw, I could care less whether you think I'm "worthy of convincing you." That's just stupid arrogance talking on your part. Maybe if you'd asked nicely for a summarization of the points in the video, I might have obliged. But seeing as you pretended to have watched the video, pretended to have rebutted its arguments, and only now are demanding the argument be presented differently, I think you can go fuck yourself.

I was referring to the man in the video, serpent, not you !
His argument is repeated a lot, since the 80s and the 90s and maybe even older, all of them have one answer: context.

I suspect that you still haven't watched the video, which would make this more lies and bullshit about an argument you haven't bothered to even hear.

Again, you're full of shit to the core. You're nothing but a second rate liar.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Extremists: a question and a talk - by WinterHold - July 7, 2018 at 11:44 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by chimp3 - July 7, 2018 at 11:48 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by Minimalist - July 7, 2018 at 11:53 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by WinterHold - July 7, 2018 at 3:40 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by Angrboda - July 7, 2018 at 7:49 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by WinterHold - July 7, 2018 at 8:43 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by Angrboda - July 7, 2018 at 9:58 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by WinterHold - July 8, 2018 at 5:30 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by Angrboda - July 9, 2018 at 11:45 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by robvalue - July 7, 2018 at 12:47 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by Angrboda - July 7, 2018 at 2:20 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by chimp3 - July 7, 2018 at 4:38 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by WinterHold - July 7, 2018 at 7:52 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by chimp3 - July 7, 2018 at 7:59 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by Foxaèr - July 7, 2018 at 8:31 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by chimp3 - July 7, 2018 at 8:59 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by Joods - July 7, 2018 at 8:26 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by WinterHold - July 8, 2018 at 9:54 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by brewer - July 7, 2018 at 10:32 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by robvalue - July 8, 2018 at 4:50 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by SaStrike - July 8, 2018 at 7:04 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by Brian37 - July 8, 2018 at 10:01 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by robvalue - July 8, 2018 at 12:18 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by WinterHold - July 8, 2018 at 6:26 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by chimp3 - July 8, 2018 at 7:55 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by robvalue - July 9, 2018 at 1:29 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by WinterHold - July 15, 2018 at 10:56 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by Angrboda - July 16, 2018 at 2:28 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by WinterHold - July 16, 2018 at 5:29 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by Angrboda - July 16, 2018 at 10:25 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by WinterHold - July 17, 2018 at 11:03 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by Angrboda - July 10, 2018 at 9:09 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by Angrboda - July 10, 2018 at 11:16 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by robvalue - July 17, 2018 at 11:57 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by WinterHold - July 17, 2018 at 5:48 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by Angrboda - July 17, 2018 at 12:56 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by Angrboda - July 17, 2018 at 2:13 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by Fake Messiah - July 17, 2018 at 3:47 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by Angrboda - July 17, 2018 at 4:12 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by yragnitup - July 17, 2018 at 11:22 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by yragnitup - July 18, 2018 at 3:22 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by Angrboda - July 17, 2018 at 8:37 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by WinterHold - July 17, 2018 at 9:44 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by robvalue - July 18, 2018 at 6:50 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by WinterHold - July 18, 2018 at 8:40 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by Fake Messiah - July 18, 2018 at 7:11 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by WinterHold - July 20, 2018 at 12:37 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by robvalue - July 18, 2018 at 7:33 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by robvalue - July 18, 2018 at 9:55 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by robvalue - July 19, 2018 at 1:59 pm
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by Angrboda - July 20, 2018 at 5:07 am
RE: Extremists: a question and a talk - by Fake Messiah - July 28, 2018 at 9:25 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Women allowed to dive in Saudi Arabia; more talk WinterHold 2 1310 September 28, 2017 at 2:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  We need to talk about Muhammad mralstoner 28 3596 June 15, 2016 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: mralstoner
  At least 70 dead by Islamic extremists. downbeatplumb 15 3803 April 5, 2015 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist