Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 2:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there any Christian proselytizers left in this subforum?
RE: Are there any Christian proselytizers left in this subforum?
(September 29, 2018 at 5:19 am)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(September 28, 2018 at 3:45 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: I organized such a discussion. It was set-up as a panel discussion among Christians to discuss a topic relevant to Christians. The topic was why Christians participate on AF. Some non-Christian members were upset because they weren't invited. Other non-Christian members didn't appreciate the existence of a discussion they couldn't derail. And a couple non-Christians were appalled that Christians would consider fulfilling their duty in the Great Commission as one of their reasons for contributing to AF.

It became clear to me, from comments on the parallel 'peanut gallery' thread and private messages, that a very sizable number of prominent AF members resented our presence on AF. People I thought were my friends, or who I respected despite our philosophical differences, actually held me in contempt...not just forum trash talk or playful banter,...no, real true contempt. My experience was not unique. Other Christian members seemed equally dismayed. Lots of PMs were exchanged. Many of us believers have either scaled back, withdrawn, or opted out entirely.

That's fucked up, Neo. I was honored to be a moderator in that debate, and any atheists who resent your presence on the forum ("your" meaning theists) need to consider the fact that a dialectic is the only way we can honestly unearth truth via interaction. And there can be no dialectic without disagreement. I, for one, don't resent theists' presence here. I'll admit, I've gotten angry/flustered during the course of a debate with a theist (last one I can remember is Alpha Male) but usually this indicates investment in the discussion and is a good thing.

I want to hear from anyone who has the balls to answer these two questions, and I promise a response: Do you think this forum would be better without any theists? How?

I think the polar disagreements make things interesting, personally.

edit: I only promise a response if you quote me so I get notified. (Didn't think to say that.)

As usual Neo is missing the point entirely.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are there any Christian proselytizers left in this subforum? - by I_am_not_mafia - October 1, 2018 at 10:23 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 90858 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  [Serious] Do we have any female Christians left? If not, anyone is welcome to comment. Losty 34 3528 May 13, 2019 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: WolfsChild
  Are there any Christians here who believe in zombies? Jehanne 41 5022 February 1, 2019 at 9:30 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Are there any YECs in the house here? Jehanne 71 9767 June 28, 2018 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The benefits of being christian. Where are there??? Dnte 212 35862 February 2, 2018 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  CHRISTIANS, you only have 3 days left to get rid of your XMAS TREE! 21stCenturyIconoclast 22 4329 December 24, 2016 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: 21stCenturyIconoclast
  Is there another motivation for christian belief? brewer 118 17895 September 23, 2016 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: TubbyTubby
  Another "how could any intelligent woman be a Christian?" thread drfuzzy 17 2908 September 14, 2016 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Why i'm not a Christian and why i left the faith as a child. dyresand 20 5762 November 8, 2014 at 10:01 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7557 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM