Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 1:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
California Requires Women on Corp Boards by law.
RE: California Requires Women on Corp Boards by law.
(October 6, 2018 at 12:50 pm)Tres Leches Wrote: I don't see how this relates to the new California law for placing women on corporate boards.
It relates to Rob's point that there can be cases in which forcing a quota does more harm than good, if there aren't applicants available to meet a particular quota.  

Quote:A law which, by the way, doesn't require boards to be populated 50% by women.
Um... yes it does:

"No later than the close of the 2021 calendar year, the bill would increase that required minimum number to 2 female directors if the corporation has 5 directors or to 3 female directors if the corporation has 6 or more directors."

Two out of five is 40%; three out of six is 50%.

Quote:It's not a zero sum game.
Women have been purposefully kept out of a number of arenas in the US for generations. Often with the complicity of many women themselves, sadly.
I don't disagree with that.

Quote:My point stands. It's too bad that a law has to be passed and society won't change on its own volition but if that's what it takes to break through inequality, so be it.
And my point stands -- passing a law won't fix this; it rarely ever does.

(October 6, 2018 at 9:34 pm)Grandizer Wrote: There's no easy solution, I agree. But the system is flawed, and it's going to take aeons before this gets fixed in a natural manner (i.e., without a fight).
So, fight.

Major social change comes about through social movements, not through working within the system that is already stacked against you.

Quote:Why not gradually address aspects of it until the whole system has been revamped properly?
Because the system will never get revamped in that way.  It's bailing a sinking ship with a leaky cup, when what is needed in a new ship.

That said, there's nothing wrong with trying to use all available means to try to effect change.
It's just something of a waste of effort to use a less effective means, when more effective means are available.

Quote:Why continue fostering sexist attitudes against women, especially when the rationale for such mindset isn't warranted?
Passing a law rarely changes any attitudes or mindsets.
Look at Prohibition, or the Civil Rights Act.
-- 
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."

Messages In This Thread
RE: California Requires Women on Corp Boards by law. - by Dr H - October 9, 2018 at 7:01 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trans women banned from world chess LinuxGal 37 3066 October 15, 2023 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  MA publishes database of law enforcement disciplinary actions Nanny 0 440 August 22, 2023 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Women's Rights Lek 314 20303 April 25, 2023 at 5:22 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  California about to be the first state to administer reparations!s Huggy Bear 77 4323 April 3, 2022 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Break any law if it’s for Jesus Fake Messiah 0 159 March 17, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Serious] G-20 leaders, don’t forget the women’s rights advocates rotting in Saudi prisons WinterHold 47 2317 September 23, 2020 at 6:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  This from the California Tourism Board. Gawdzilla Sama 74 5853 September 21, 2020 at 12:19 pm
  California High Capacity Magazine Ban Shot Down. onlinebiker 73 2757 August 25, 2020 at 1:37 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Damned Women BrianSoddingBoru4 26 2295 December 19, 2019 at 6:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Garlic festival shooting: Three dead in Gilroy California zebo-the-fat 30 3292 August 1, 2019 at 9:09 pm