Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
California about to be the first state to administer reparations!s
California about to be the first state to administer reparations!s
California task force: Reparations for direct descendants of enslaved people only

Quote:After more than six hours of debate Tuesday, California’s reparations task force voted that only Black Californians who can prove a direct lineage to enslaved ancestors will be eligible for the statewide — and first-in-the nation — initiative to address the harms and enduring legacy of slavery.

The nine-member task force voted 5-4 in favor of defining eligibility for reparations based on lineage “determined by an individual being an African American descendant of a chattel enslaved person or the descendant of a free Black person living in the US prior to the end of the 19th century,” the motion read.

This will set a precedent that other states will follow ultimately up to the federal level.
RE: California about to be the first state to administer reparations!s
Looks like lots of black people are going to consider moving to Cali after they've checked out Ancestry.com.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
@Foxaire

I don't see a problem with that, all the yt people moving out and a lot of them are coming to my area (Boise) and driving up the real estate value (value of my home increased by 300%).

[Image: oxKgb4E.png]
You live in Boise?  No wonder you're tense.

The government has paid "reparations" to people who need help for 80 years.  They simply call it something else.  Descendants of slaves are entitled to more than welfare, in my experience and estimation.  So, I agree with such measures.  But I wonder, are descendants of slaves willing to call it "even" after that?
@Ranjr

I wouldn't say that reparations are "help", reparations is what the U.S. owes for forcing a group of people to build it for free.
While I think reparations are the right thing to do, I'm a little unclear about something - the title of the article (and comments within the article) says the reparations would be allowed for 'direct descendants of enslaved people only', but the wording of the actual motion says 

Quote:determined by an individual being an African American descendant of a chattel enslaved person or the descendant of a free Black person living in the US prior to the end of the 19th century,

So, is it descendants of enslaved Black people only, or it is descendants of enslaved Black people AND the descendants of free Black people in the US prior to 1901?

To be clear, I'm not objecting to either scenario.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I'm wondering, since white slave owner men did rape and/or have consensual sex with black slave women, will white people descended from slaves also receive these reparations?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
No, but neither will most black people, either. That's sort of the point of the whole charade.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 31, 2022 at 12:56 am)Huggy Bear Wrote: @Ranjr

I wouldn't say that reparations are "help", reparations is what the U.S. owes for forcing a group of people to build it for free.

I would say that "help" is part of reparations.  Slaves were treated horribly, but not genocidally.  Descendants who need extra help deserve it.  Those who don't need it overcame the mistreatment of their forbearers.  

That's why I don't take advantage of benefits available to me because of my grandmother.  Her people walked the Trail.  But I did alright.
Why didn't they include the indigenous native americans? Fuckin racists.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will leaving the state work in Texas brewer 19 928 July 13, 2021 at 6:16 am
Last Post: brewer
  Escalating violence as armed protests planned in all 50 state capitals TaraJo 64 3449 January 15, 2021 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Guns banned in Michigan State Capitol. onlinebiker 52 3006 January 13, 2021 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  This from the California Tourism Board. Gawdzilla Sama 74 5363 September 21, 2020 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  California High Capacity Magazine Ban Shot Down. onlinebiker 73 2424 August 25, 2020 at 1:37 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Garlic festival shooting: Three dead in Gilroy California zebo-the-fat 30 3156 August 1, 2019 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  California ban on high capacity magazines declared unconstitutional popeyespappy 178 10337 May 3, 2019 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Church forcing State involvement? onlinebiker 34 1962 April 16, 2019 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  No more executions in California? Jehanne 0 287 March 14, 2019 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  State Of The Nonsense Brian37 49 4515 February 9, 2019 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: Yonadav