Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 5:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
(January 1, 2019 at 8:28 pm)bennyboy Wrote: You have accepted quite a complex collection of philosophical assumptions in arriving at your "simplest explanation."

This is good! This is an important thing to recognize!

On another thread recently I was severely scolded for suggesting we have reasons to believe the things we believe. That when we hear a claim, we evaluate it and accept or reject it based on things we hold to be true. It was angrily suggested to me that when we hear about unicorns, we can in fact reject claims of their existence with no reasons whatsoever -- as if somehow we have direct access to some sort of truth. 

The criteria we use to evaluate what we hear or read are often taken so much for granted that we just assume we are right. And of course this is dangerous, and exactly the sort of thing that skeptics like us should be working on.

Messages In This Thread
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience? - by Belacqua - January 1, 2019 at 9:02 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A different perspective Ahriman 222 11049 March 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Exploring orientation and playing with perspective. Arkilogue 2 742 October 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 3011 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My perspective on Cosmogony bearheart 8 1484 November 8, 2014 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: bearheart
  My perspective - truth or delusion? Mystic 22 11354 June 10, 2012 at 9:10 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Perspective and Belief Perhaps 20 9295 December 20, 2011 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Hoptoad