Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perspective and Belief
Perspective and Belief
A simple question which I would like some opinions on. Which comes first? Does perspective determine belief? or does belief determine perspective? Also, what roles do reality and imagination play in these determinations?

I'll define what I mean by perspective and belief, so as to avert possible side arguments.

Perspective - the way in which one views the world
Belief - a causal item which affects the decisions one makes in relation to their interaction with the world

Effectively my questions become: Does the way in which one views the world determine how they make decisions in relation to their interactions with the world around them? or, Does the way in which they make decisions determine the way in which they view the world?

Perhaps the answer is simply yes, or simply no, but I would appreciate some explanation along with your answer. Thanks for your time.
Brevity is the soul of wit.
RE: Perspective and Belief
(December 18, 2011 at 3:31 am)Perhaps Wrote: A simple question which I would like some opinions on. Which comes first? Does perspective determine belief? or does belief determine perspective? Also, what roles do reality and imagination play in these determinations?

I'll define what I mean by perspective and belief, so as to avert possible side arguments.

Perspective - the way in which one views the world
Belief - a causal item which affects the decisions one makes in relation to their interaction with the world

Effectively my questions become: Does the way in which one views the world determine how they make decisions in relation to their interactions with the world around them? or, Does the way in which they make decisions determine the way in which they view the world?

Perhaps the answer is simply yes, or simply no, but I would appreciate some explanation along with your answer. Thanks for your time.

I see it as both, I think ones personality would determine which is true for him/her.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
If you tear it all away to each persons beginning, it would be perspective. As babies we saw the world as new and vulnerable beings, dependent on older people for everything, including what we come to know and believe. It is perspective that gives birth to each person's original beliefs. When a child asks a question, and they are told an answer, they believe it. They believe it because of their perspective as dependents. Evolution by natural selection has programmed this into our DNA, which is why we are here today. We are born with a perception to believe what our parents tell us.

As we grow, does that change? Maybe?

Perspective is derived from belief I think. What you reason to be true influences your actions. A belief is a foundational stance upon which you act out your life.
Frodo's always quick to jump when he has an opportunity to equate belief with reason, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Meanwhile Rhythm's always quick to stand up for irrationality Wink
My perception affects my opinion of things. Such as the natural world and how it works. Never perceived exterior forces like beings affecting anything, or even existing for that matter. So saw no reason to hold such beliefs in beings.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Would anything change in your answers if I specified my question further? If I ask, in the instance of science, does perspective determine belief? or does belief determine perspective? Also, in the instance of faith, does perspective determine belief? or does belief determine perspective?

I think I would answer in relation to science that belief determines perspective. I say this because the way in which a scientific experiment is conducted would determine what is observed, thus affecting perception. I don't think that science conducts itself in a manner which follows our observations - that would simply lead to fixed conclusions based on what we want as a result. But perhaps I'm wrong here. Maybe science does create fixed results, simply confirming what we perceive to exist. Either way is interesting to think about.

I think I would answer in relation to faith that, once again, belief determines perspective. I say this because faith is derived from belief (in my opinion) and thus, in order to possess faith one must possess belief which would then affect perception as a result. Those with faith observe the world the way their belief allows them to see it.

Perhaps I'm wrong in my analysis of these specific questions, but it is interesting to me to observe the similar characteristics in each analysis.
(December 18, 2011 at 4:47 am)aleialoura Wrote: If you tear it all away to each persons beginning, it would be perspective. As babies we saw the world as new and vulnerable beings, dependent on older people for everything, including what we come to know and believe. It is perspective that gives birth to each person's original beliefs. When a child asks a question, and they are told an answer, they believe it. They believe it because of their perspective as dependents. Evolution by natural selection has programmed this into our DNA, which is why we are here today. We are born with a perception to believe what our parents tell us.

As we grow, does that change? Maybe?

I agree, at birth it is perspective which drives belief. But I do think that in certain areas it is the other way around. But who knows?
I think its funny that people get so hung up on these semantics.... perspective, believe, faith, lack of faith.... its all garbage. Either you think make believe is real, or you don't. It doesn't matter if someone wants to say I have beliefs because I don't believe in myths, because that doesn't change my position.
(December 19, 2011 at 12:40 am)helmespc Wrote: I think its funny that people get so hung up on these semantics.... perspective, believe, faith, lack of faith.... its all garbage. Either you think make believe is real, or you don't. It doesn't matter if someone wants to say I have beliefs because I don't believe in myths, because that doesn't change my position.

I'm not aiming to affirm that you either 'think make believe is real, or you don't'. I'm asking a question on 'semantics'. If you don't like the question then that's perfectly fine, but no need to voice it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belief without Verification or Certainty vulcanlogician 40 3240 May 11, 2022 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  A different perspective Ahriman 222 8506 March 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  [Serious] Questions about Belief and Personal Identity Neo-Scholastic 27 1702 June 11, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience? zainab 257 13761 January 25, 2019 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Is Belief in God ethical? vulcanlogician 28 2521 November 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  William James and Belief In Belief Mudhammam 0 617 November 2, 2016 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Exploring orientation and playing with perspective. Arkilogue 2 689 October 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Knowledge and belief in God Harris 37 4443 April 29, 2016 at 8:00 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 2861 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Test my belief system robvalue 84 12126 September 8, 2015 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Sappho