Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 8:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
(January 2, 2019 at 10:51 am)Thoreauvian Wrote:
(January 1, 2019 at 8:28 pm)bennyboy Wrote: What you aren't addressing are the important questions:
1)  If science is about observation, what observations do you make to establish whether a given system does/doesn't have a subjective experience of reality?

I already answered: a living body with an operational brain and nervous system.

I agree with you that it is perfectly reasonable to assume that other people have interior worlds, just as I do. It would be silly, impractical, and perhaps sociopathic to deny that. 

The point of asking the question, though, is to emphasize that science absolutely cannot prove that such a thing is true. This is another way of defining the "hard problem" of consciousness. 

Since nobody knows how the electrochemical events of the brain present themselves to the subject as experiences, there is no way for science to prove that in any given case (that is not me) that's what's happening. We can prove that when every normal brain is exposed to a police siren it reacts with activation in the same area. We can prove that the heart rate goes up and the skin gets clammy. We cannot prove that this is the result of personal experience as opposed to automatic programming. 

Again, nobody really believes that it is automatic programming. The point is that science can't prove it, because it can't show how interior experiences arise.

Messages In This Thread
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience? - by Belacqua - January 2, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A different perspective Ahriman 222 11050 March 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Exploring orientation and playing with perspective. Arkilogue 2 742 October 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 3011 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My perspective on Cosmogony bearheart 8 1484 November 8, 2014 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: bearheart
  My perspective - truth or delusion? Mystic 22 11358 June 10, 2012 at 9:10 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Perspective and Belief Perhaps 20 9295 December 20, 2011 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Hoptoad