Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 4:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
(January 9, 2019 at 9:04 am)Grandizer Wrote:
(January 9, 2019 at 6:39 am)Belaqua Wrote: From a new article on the Aeon web site:

"To put it bluntly, the claim that there’s nothing but physical reality is either false or empty. If ‘physical reality’ means reality as physics describes it, then the assertion that only physical phenomena exist is false. Why? Because physical science – including biology and computational neuroscience – doesn’t include an account of consciousness. This is not to say that consciousness is something unnatural or supernatural. The point is that physical science doesn’t include an account of experience; but we know that experience exists, so the claim that the only things that exist are what physical science tells us is false. On the other hand, if ‘physical reality’ means reality according to some future and complete physics, then the claim that there is nothing else but physical reality is empty, because we have no idea what such a future physics will look like, especially in relation to consciousness."

by:

Adam Frank is professor of astrophysics at the University of Rochester in New York.
Marcelo Gleiser is a theoretical physicist at Dartmouth College in New Hampshire, where he is the Appleton professor of natural philosophy and professor of physics and astronomy, and the director of the Institute for Cross-Disciplinary Engagement (ICE).
Evan Thompson is professor of philosophy and a scholar at the Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.

https://aeon.co/essays/the-blind-spot-of...experience

Maybe you've posted this already in this thread (and if so, I missed it), but what view of consciousness do you lean towards? Is it panpsychism? I've been hearing a lot about it lately, and it's interesting to say the least.

No idea whatsoever-ism! 

To me it's a total mystery. Though panpsychism sounds sort of appealing, I don't see it as more than speculation yet. If you know some good links about it I'd be interested to read more.

Messages In This Thread
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience? - by Belacqua - January 9, 2019 at 10:22 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A different perspective Ahriman 222 11044 March 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Exploring orientation and playing with perspective. Arkilogue 2 742 October 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 3008 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My perspective on Cosmogony bearheart 8 1484 November 8, 2014 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: bearheart
  My perspective - truth or delusion? Mystic 22 11352 June 10, 2012 at 9:10 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Perspective and Belief Perhaps 20 9292 December 20, 2011 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Hoptoad