Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 5:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
(January 9, 2019 at 5:38 pm)Belaqua Wrote: To me the orchestra analogy doesn't work because a single note and a symphony are ontologically the same; the difference is complexity. But an electrochemical event and an experience are not, in my view, ontologically the same.

It's true that there are emergent properties in the world that come about due to complexity, but I haven't seen it demonstrated yet that consciousness is one of those things. Some people think it is. If you have some argument for this I will read it.

Not just complexity, but relationships. Single notes of an orchestra piece may be ontologically the same, but the timing and relationships between them over time are not. Those are new properties which only exist in the full piece. That's where the music exists, and that music is similar to the emergent property of consciousness in that sense. The music doesn't exist without the timing and relationships between the notes. I will describe this in more detail in my book report about the human brain.

Thanks for remaining reasonable and patient. I guess I'm having a hard time articulating my thoughts well enough to be understood. That's part of the reason I'm working on a longer presentation. I will add this much, however: another way to express one of my main points is that the hard problem of consciousness isn't really about how consciousness arose, but about how life arose. The latter is what created subjects from objects. Thus my comment that consciousness is necessarily an experience of bodies, and that it couldn't exist without them. That wasn't intended as a tautology.

Messages In This Thread
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience? - by Alan V - January 10, 2019 at 1:55 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A different perspective Ahriman 222 13613 March 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Exploring orientation and playing with perspective. Arkilogue 2 800 October 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 3196 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My perspective on Cosmogony bearheart 8 1616 November 8, 2014 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: bearheart
  My perspective - truth or delusion? Mystic 22 11835 June 10, 2012 at 9:10 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Perspective and Belief Perhaps 20 9670 December 20, 2011 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Hoptoad