Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 1:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
(January 19, 2019 at 7:57 pm)bennyboy Wrote: The essence of the issue, to me, is this: mind is about "What is it like to experience X?" Science might be able to guess, linguistically, what a person is experiencing. It might be able to report, "bennyboy exhibits brain patterns associated with X" But I cannot conceive of any way in which subjective and objective perspectives can truly be brought into a single framework. That's because they are diametrically opposed, by definition.

I already answered this. See below.

(January 16, 2019 at 9:18 pm)Thoreauvian Wrote:
(January 16, 2019 at 6:01 pm)bennyboy Wrote: If science is about making objective observations, I say you cannot do a science of mind, because mind cannot be observed at all.

Of course we can observe our own minds directly.  First person accounts form a useful part of scientific studies, especially when scientists have large samplings which are compared to measurements of brain activity.

All sorts of things can't be observed directly by science, yet scientists can assemble excellent guesses by means of their careful detective work on available evidence, including proxies.  That's how scientists reconstructed ancient climates for instance.

Scientists are studying the mind, and the objections of philosophers are not standing in their way.

(January 19, 2019 at 5:10 am)Belaqua Wrote: Philosophy and science have always worked dialectically. Or, depending on where you want to draw the boundary lines, we can agree with bennyboy that science is a subset of philosophy. It's the part of philosophy which demands, a priori, methodological naturalism, and accepts only empirical repeatable inter-subjective quantifiable evidence. Questions about reality which can't be answered within those limits aren't science, but may interest philosophers.

I find it surprising that philosophers still think "science is a subset of philosophy" instead of a spinoff.

Messages In This Thread
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience? - by Alan V - January 19, 2019 at 10:44 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A different perspective Ahriman 222 10873 March 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Exploring orientation and playing with perspective. Arkilogue 2 737 October 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 2982 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My perspective on Cosmogony bearheart 8 1484 November 8, 2014 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: bearheart
  My perspective - truth or delusion? Mystic 22 11342 June 10, 2012 at 9:10 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Perspective and Belief Perhaps 20 9283 December 20, 2011 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Hoptoad