Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 12:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
(January 20, 2019 at 11:43 pm)Thoreauvian Wrote: I have already offered you information that explains why brains allow for consciousness when other systems do not.  You simply don't agree with it.

I must have missed this information. What was it again? 

If by "consciousness" bennyboy means qualia -- the experience given to us by the senses as perceived by a subject -- then he's right that this hasn't been explained yet. Gazzaniga, as you recall, said that this question hasn't been answered yet. I haven't followed all the posts, but earlier this is what bennyboy and I were talking about.

Quote:So you simply are not arguing in good faith, apparently because you feel your pet theory is threatened by real science.

What gives you the impression that bennyboy is being disingenuous? In what way is science threatening something he likes? Since science has no competing theories for how qualia appear to us, he is not arguing against any science. 

The three ideas he's suggesting -- idealism, panpsychism, and physical supervenience -- are current speculations offering tentative explanations to things science has not explained and, as of yet, has no testable theories about. They may or may not be true, but I don't see bennyboy declaring that they must be true.

Messages In This Thread
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience? - by Belacqua - January 21, 2019 at 1:55 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A different perspective Ahriman 222 10873 March 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Exploring orientation and playing with perspective. Arkilogue 2 737 October 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 2982 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My perspective on Cosmogony bearheart 8 1484 November 8, 2014 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: bearheart
  My perspective - truth or delusion? Mystic 22 11342 June 10, 2012 at 9:10 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Perspective and Belief Perhaps 20 9283 December 20, 2011 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Hoptoad