Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 7:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
(January 21, 2019 at 8:25 am)Belaqua Wrote:
(January 21, 2019 at 7:51 am)Thoreauvian Wrote: Brain science has shown how the brain abstracts and interprets such information and presents it to our bodies, to us, in our brains.  If you doubt this, study the brain science.  

See, you've slipped into dualistic language here. The brain abstracts such information and presents it to us in our brains. Those of us who think that we are our bodies don't want to use language that shows the brain as somehow not-us. If the brain is a part of us (which I'm pretty sure it is) then we're just saying that we present the sensory information to ourselves, and it somehow presents itself to us as qualia. 

I think we are our bodies. I think that science has not explained how the electrochemical events in our brains present themselves to something we think of as the self as qualia, which do not look like electrochemical events. If it's a purely philosophical question, that's because science has no idea at present how to answer it. 

I was trying to delineate the distinction between the unconscious processing of information and what we finally perceive consciously, using our ill-adapted language. Can you see the distinction and why it is important to the discussion? Qualia are abstractions, so of course they look different. The mystery is not in why we experience qualia, since they happen to us. Nor is the mystery in why they look different, since we already know the brain automatically processes information into abstractions to present to consciousness. Again, knowing the brain science is important.

When you read a book, you stop paying attention to the words as words. You don't see little black squiggles on white pages of paper beyond a point. You engage with the abstractions they represent. This is no doubt the same way the electro-chemical events in our brains work. They have assigned meanings, perhaps based on the unique ways they were coded into each of our brains, and we engage with the meanings, the abstractions.

We may not know all the details, but they are likely technical anyway. Nothing about this is difficult in principle as far as I can see.

Messages In This Thread
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience? - by Alan V - January 21, 2019 at 8:39 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A different perspective Ahriman 222 10875 March 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Exploring orientation and playing with perspective. Arkilogue 2 737 October 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 2982 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My perspective on Cosmogony bearheart 8 1484 November 8, 2014 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: bearheart
  My perspective - truth or delusion? Mystic 22 11342 June 10, 2012 at 9:10 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Perspective and Belief Perhaps 20 9283 December 20, 2011 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Hoptoad