Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 5:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
(January 22, 2019 at 1:52 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: It's your syllogism, so I guess that's your problem?  As I just explained to Bel's canned objection... the computer analogy is used to describe how some other thing does x - not to suggest that the things doing x are the same.  They need only share whatever meaningful similarity is being researched.  In the case of computational theories..it's computation, not the function of a semiconducter.

We're essentially asking ourselves whether or not mother nature uses some of the same tricks to achieve her effects as we do when we exploit her to achieve our own. So, for example..when you ask "lets say we build convincing androids" the immediate question is how we would do that, and whether those same things can also account for "the real deal".

As far as I can tell, you and Thoreauvian believe that increased knowledge of brain activity is likely to explain why electrochemical events in the brain present themselves to the self as qualia. 

Other people believe that even if we could make a complete map of brain activity, showing all electrochemical events in every cell and their interaction, this would only tell us about the activity of electrochemical events, and wouldn't show why they present themselves to the self as qualia.

Messages In This Thread
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience? - by Belacqua - January 22, 2019 at 2:04 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A different perspective Ahriman 222 11049 March 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Exploring orientation and playing with perspective. Arkilogue 2 742 October 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 3011 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My perspective on Cosmogony bearheart 8 1484 November 8, 2014 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: bearheart
  My perspective - truth or delusion? Mystic 22 11354 June 10, 2012 at 9:10 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Perspective and Belief Perhaps 20 9295 December 20, 2011 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Hoptoad