Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 1:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
(January 23, 2019 at 9:52 am)Gae Bolga Wrote:
(January 23, 2019 at 3:43 am)bennyboy Wrote: If you are making a model of reality, and the leftover piece of the puzzle is the central feature of our existence, and also the means by which we investigate and formulate that model, then yes.  Everything is needed.

Leftover piece of a puzzle?  I asked you why you thought that consciousness would have to be necessary.  Necessity is not at all how we understand evolution to operate, is why I ask.

Sure, it's a leftover piece. It is not accounted for in any physical description of the world, and is not required for any of the calculations. And yet, here it is.

I don't much feel like arguing the semantics of the term "necessary," but I can repeat what I already said about evolution.
1) If qualia adds something beyond material mechanism, then the Universe is not material monist
2) If qualia adds nothing beyond mechanism, then there's no reason for it to have evolved

If you want to contend that qualia are a coincidental supervenient property of the evolved brain, then I'd say that's quite the fantastic coinkydink.

Messages In This Thread
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience? - by bennyboy - January 23, 2019 at 11:28 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A different perspective Ahriman 222 10873 March 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Exploring orientation and playing with perspective. Arkilogue 2 737 October 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 2982 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My perspective on Cosmogony bearheart 8 1484 November 8, 2014 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: bearheart
  My perspective - truth or delusion? Mystic 22 11342 June 10, 2012 at 9:10 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Perspective and Belief Perhaps 20 9283 December 20, 2011 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Hoptoad