Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 7:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
(January 23, 2019 at 5:11 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Who'se hiding behind any evolutionary narrative...and I still don't know how or why necessity is informing you.

I don't recall saying "here it is, so it must have evolved"  I recall having suggested to you that this question of necessity is out of your own left field..and nothing to do with evolutionary biology.  Needful things is not how evolution proceeds.  Nor does  evolution care whether or not there are other ways of doing something.  You expressed personal incredulity on account of irrelevant criteria.

Imagine if I had told you that I couldn't see how a bee evolved flight?  It doesn't need to fly, and the manner in which it flies adds nothing, it's accomplished in other and better ways in the absence of the bee flight mechanism.  You'd think I was a fucking loon..right?

Here, lets try another one.  I can't believe babe ruth was the greatest player who ever lived.  His name was ruth, after all.

These aren't very coherent answers to a very simple question-- in the objective mechanistic world described by science, in which all outcomes are possible without reference to the subjective, and in which the brain is a material mechanism which processes and outputs behaviors which favor reproductive fitness, what role does the experience of qualia serve? What's wrong with high-functioning p-zombies?

A better analogy would be if you speculated that bees have anti-gravity force fields (though you couldn't demonstrate the existence of those fields scientifically), then I'd say-- ummm. . . wings are sufficient, why you talking about anti-gravity force fields, dude? If you then went on to say that anti-gravity force fields were an evolved property (still not demonstrating they existed), and you could do science on force fields it by measuring wing function, then I'd say-- I don't think you're studying what you think you're studying.

Ridiculous, right?

Messages In This Thread
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience? - by bennyboy - January 23, 2019 at 7:53 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A different perspective Ahriman 222 11049 March 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Exploring orientation and playing with perspective. Arkilogue 2 742 October 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 3011 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My perspective on Cosmogony bearheart 8 1484 November 8, 2014 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: bearheart
  My perspective - truth or delusion? Mystic 22 11356 June 10, 2012 at 9:10 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Perspective and Belief Perhaps 20 9295 December 20, 2011 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Hoptoad