Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 5:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype
RE: Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype
(June 18, 2019 at 7:10 am)Belaqua Wrote: Causality, in the sense that Aristotle used it, is not about time. 

I've tried to describe this before, but apparently I haven't done a good job. I'll take another stab at it.

For A to be the case, B must be the case. In Aristotle's use of the word, B is therefore a cause of A. They could be sequential in time, or they could be simultaneous. 

Simultaneity means "happening at the same time". I don't see how anything happening can avoid temporality.

Quote:For cats to exist, space/time must exist. Therefore space-time is a cause of cats. If space-time went away, the cats would also disappear. But the same is not true the other way -- space-time would continue to exist even if all the cats disappeared.

Yes ... but how can anything exist without space and time?

Something that never exists anywhere is identical to something that doesn't exist.

I know this isn't how we normally use the word "cause" these days. But that's what Aristotle meant. 

Quote:This is important in Aristotelian philosophy and in theology. Traditional Christian theology holds that God is First Cause because he holds the world in existence constantly, not because he started it at a point in time.

Quote:I don't think it's right to say that the cat always existed, when all that existed was its material. 

We only say that the cat hasn't always existed because when it was another form we don't consider it to be a cat.

Quote:Raw materials are not the thing. Maybe the atoms always existed, but for the cat to exist it has to have the form and functionality of the cat. Good old hylomorphism.

Michelangelo existed, and his atoms still exist, but Michelangelo no longer exists.

The point is it's not an example of something coming out of existence out of nothing. Energy changes from one thing to another but nothing is created or destroyed in a deep sense.

Quote:If that's true, then reality is the First Cause. (I suspect, though, that the term "reality" is going to give us trouble down the road.)

You could say that the beginning of reality is the first cause.

But I think it's more accurate to say that there is ultimately only one thing. That thing is reality. It has expanded. And things like electrons are, say, something like rips in space-time. Steven Wienberg suggested this years ago.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype - by SenseMaker007 - June 19, 2019 at 4:48 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Never-Ending and Quite Exasperating Debate We All Know of Leonardo17 24 788 June 5, 2024 at 5:30 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 91690 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Christian Libertarians and Atheists - Common Ground? lowellwballard 21 1936 May 13, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Group prayer on Skype on behalf of our Christian members I_am_not_mafia 132 17299 May 26, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Facetime/skype Drich 43 4162 May 25, 2018 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: emjay
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3491 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New WLC debate Jehanne 18 3457 March 28, 2017 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Jesus did not rise from the dead -- My debate opening statement. Jehanne 155 25803 January 21, 2017 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An invitation to debate. Jehanne 63 8985 December 22, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Big Debate -- Price versus Ehrman Jehanne 43 9989 November 26, 2016 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne