Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 11:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Telling children that they are going to hell is abusive?
RE: Telling children that they are going to hell is abusive?
(February 6, 2020 at 4:21 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: The new testament is a story, regardless of whatever else you might believe it is.  Bart Ehrman studies how that story came to be the way it is as we have it.  He believes the story.  That Bart Ehrman believes a story that he studies is in no way evidence for hell.  It is completely irrelevant how many new testament scholars believe in hell.  No one doubts that there are people who believe in hell.  

I'm not sure what evidentiary value scripture or fatima is supposed to represent, but here again you could clarify.

I would have thought it is obvious but one last time. If the NT is a true record of God becoming man and Jesus tells us there is a hell that is irrefutaable evidence there is a hell. At Fatima, as I've already pointed out, Our Lady shows the children a vision of hell and speaks of it a real. That's evidence. and you will have to look at the evidence yourself and tell me why I should reject it. I've already looked at the evidence and the arguments surrounding both scripture and Fatima. You can too. Very easily. But just stating a conclusion without evidence or argument is not a debate or even a conversation.

(February 6, 2020 at 4:23 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(February 6, 2020 at 12:52 pm)ColdComfort Wrote: You are being intentionally dishonest.

You are being dishonest because you are using logical fallacies. Like this:

Quote:Or just not very smart. Perhaps a bit of both.

Ad Hominem fallacy.

Then this

Quote:Calling the NT a story with no truth to it is a conclusion from the evidence that you have made not evidence itself. Like a verdict of guilty or not guilty after hearing the evidence. The verdict is not evidence and verdicts from juries are sometimes wrong.

Logical fallacy of Avoiding the Issue and changing topic.

Then

Quote:Mr. Erhman he started his scholarly career accepting the truth of the NT. So at that point in his life he had evidence of hell but later he didn't? He studied with one of the great biblical scholars of the day in Bruce Metzger who lived and died a Christian.

Argument from authority logical fallacy and you don't even know that his name is Ehrman.

(February 6, 2020 at 12:52 pm)ColdComfort Wrote: You are wrong. I'm in a take no prisoners mood so I'm not going to give you a break by saying you misunderstood my post. Bart does have evidence for the existence of hell. He's a biblical scholar. If he, after considering the evidence which you claim does not exist, concludes there is no hell that is another matter. You must get the drift. It's not a difficult point I'm making.

And to continue with the in your face attitude: Our Lady appeared to three humble peasant children at Fatima. She showed them hell and spoke of it to them. The claim is evidence. Get it? After reading a lot of the evidence that is readily available to anyone these days I am convinced that the claim is true. If it is true that that the Mother of Jesus appeared to people at Lourdes, Fatima and elsewhere then your atheism disappears in dust. But you have to examine the evidence with an open mind, don't you? You can't even get to the simple and indisputable point of admitting that there is any evidence.

Yeah Bart has so much evidence that you had to quickly  change the topic to some ramble about Fatima and Lourdes and Ad Hominem attack.

1) Ad Hominen applies to arguments not to comments. I was making a comment.

2) Avoiding the issue is not a logical fallacy. It's just evasiveness. And I was using an analogy to illustrate the difference between evidence and a conclusion.

3) Arguments from authority are not logical fallacies either. In any event I wasn't using one. 

4) Just pathetic. That's not an argument but a comment on your post.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Telling children that they are going to hell is abusive? - by ColdComfort - February 6, 2020 at 6:41 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is going to happen when Jesus returns? Fake Messiah 21 2379 March 19, 2023 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  7th grader commits suicide after being told that he is going to Hell. Jehanne 12 1577 December 9, 2021 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Religious groups in UK failing children over sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 1149 September 2, 2021 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  They're going to be chanting to the wrong God. brewer 32 2890 March 17, 2021 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If you knew for certain that you were going to Hell zwanzig 32 3163 March 9, 2021 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Church of England 'failed to protect children from sexual abusers' zebo-the-fat 25 2096 October 8, 2020 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: no one
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2619 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The ECLIPSE! It's going to be a sign from GAWD! drfuzzy 148 34478 January 5, 2018 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Do Christian Parents Abuse their Children? Bow Before Zeus 177 28414 November 29, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Nice Going, "God." Minimalist 65 17749 October 13, 2017 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet