Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 9:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belief without Verification or Certainty
RE: Belief without Verification or Certainty
(May 7, 2022 at 9:01 am)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(May 7, 2022 at 8:10 am)Belacqua Wrote: Yes, the right balance is tricky. Faith only in the fully tested is not reasonable. Faith in what one reads on Facebook is not warranted. 

Anti-vaxxers and such people are frustrating, but if we take a step back, I think we can have some sympathy. They have reached wrong conclusions, but not all of their arguments are insane. The government really does lie constantly, and has lied about Covid all along. Pharmaceutical companies really do only care about money, and don't give a hang if we live or die. Parsing just exactly which lies are important to see through becomes a difficult project. In a sense, the anti-vaxxers have overdone the skepticism -- they think that there is too much faith in the unproven. The vaccines really were developed quickly, and I remember when Kamala Harris said she would never trust a vaccine developed by the Trump administration. Then as soon as the President changed the same vaccines became trustworthy. The anti-vaxxers merely disbelieve in one more god than you and I do (figuratively speaking). 

I think it's easy to come up with a kind of "idealized" anti-vaxxer when being charitable. One who has weighed all presented arguments carefully, and (at the end of the day) still has some nagging doubts about the vaccines. But in practice, what's largely going on with these folks is that they apply an insurmountable (and some may suggest, undeserved) measure of scrutiny to the scientific community. But THEN, to the theories which suggest some spooky ulterior motive, where the powers that be are attempting to poison us en masse... they let that claim pass without sufficient scrutiny... and nowhere near the scrutiny they gave scientific claims.

That's not skepticism, that's sloppy, extremely biased thinking. I would welcome these folks becoming genuine skeptics. It wouldn't bother me so much if they were ultimately unconvinced about vaccines if they could, at the very least, articulate how utterly weak the conspiracy claims are.

Except that we're all biased in that way, we read sources that agree with our preconceptions with less skepticism than we do sources that disagree. I don't think twice about believing a story in the Washington Post or on CBS News, but apply a much greater degree of scrutiny to stories from National Review or Fox News. It isn't sloppiness per see, it's just the way that we are built.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Belief without Verification or Certainty - by Angrboda - May 7, 2022 at 9:15 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Questions about Belief and Personal Identity Neo-Scholastic 27 1981 June 11, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Good Arguments (Certainty vs. Probability) JAG 12 1032 October 8, 2020 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Is Belief in God ethical? vulcanlogician 28 2694 November 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Honesty and certainty. Mystic 23 3125 March 31, 2018 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Mystic
  William James and Belief In Belief Mudhammam 0 640 November 2, 2016 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Knowledge and belief in God Harris 37 4793 April 29, 2016 at 8:00 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  Is world better without Saddam? TrueChristian 90 12722 December 31, 2015 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Test my belief system robvalue 84 12635 September 8, 2015 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Sappho
  The Ethics of Belief Pyrrho 32 7762 July 25, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My View on Belief vs. Knowledge GrandizerII 29 7509 March 4, 2015 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus