Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Arguments (Certainty vs. Probability)
Good Arguments (Certainty vs. Probability)
Moderator Notice
Post Deleted. You have previously posted this exact text on at least two other websites. Posting material here that you have pre-written for other websites is disallowed under our spamming rules.

Boru
RE: Good Arguments (Certainty vs. Probability)
Craig borders on trump's level of stupidity.
The teleological argument is intellectually vacuous rubbish which is obviated by the fact of evolution through natural selection, beginning in all likelihood with protobiotic molecules created in the warm, weird and wonderful proximity of hydrothermal vents circa 4,000,000,000 years ago. Game over WLC et al.
(October 3, 2020 at 10:58 am)JAG Wrote: we Christians hold that we can know Christianity to be true
based upon the inner witness of the Holy Spirit that lives in us and tells us that
Christianity is true.

But what is your stance towards people of other religions who claim to witnesses and feel gods of their religions that have nothing to do with Christianity?

Here's how George Harrison, the guitarist for the Beatles described his relationship with god Krishna:

"If there’s a God, I want to see Him. It’s pointless to believe in something without proof, and Krishna Consciousness and meditation are methods where you can actually obtain GOD perception. You can actually see God, and Hear Him, play with Him. It might sound crazy, but He is actually there, actually with you."
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
The difference between atheists and theists.

Theist: "God created the universe. Noone created God. God has always been."

Atheist: "Man created god. The universe has always been".

We can see the universe.

Your god? Strangely absent.
OP, you understand revelation doesn't mean anything epistemologically to us atheists here, no?

As far as I'm concerned, I have not been given any good reason to accept that you know with certainty that Christianity is true. Partly because saying that you bear the witness of the Holy Spirit within you means nothing to me. It's an empty claim to me.

As for this:

Quote:For example, the Teleological Argument for the existence of God seeks to establish probability based on the obvious order, design, and complexity that we see in the natural world, in the human body, in the Hubble Deep Field, and for that matter on the shelves of Walmart and Sam's Club --- all evidence of endless variety of products made from endless varieties of raw materials. Intelligent Design.

Two issues with this argument at first glance:

1) It is begging the question to presume actual design and then conclude from that the existence of God.

2) Order/complexity is not evidence that conclusively favors intelligent design over otherwise. Some things like the items on the shelves of Walmart and such are intelligently designed, while other things like planets and mountains and dinosaurs are/were probably not. Knowing which is this or that comes down to what we know about each of these things, not to some overgeneralized fallacious argument.
At work.

Well.... helloooo to the forums at large JAG. Smile

Though I'll add that Mr Craig's works have been rather rehashed add nauseam here abouts.

That he doesn't understand enough biochemistry to fathom the errors in his "Odds are against" is also a 'Thing'.

All the best to you and yours.
(October 3, 2020 at 10:58 am)JAG Wrote:
Moderator Notice
Post Deleted. You have previously posted this exact text on at least two other websites.

LOL, really? Does this guy think that "I can feel God therefore God exists" is such a good argument that he's been posting it "all over" Internet?! I guess this happens when people read some religious book (in this case by WLC) but fail to read some book with opposing arguments.

If you're a Christian, and you want to spread God on atheist websites, it would be very helpful, to say at least, to read the opposing opinion first to get to know what you are getting yourself into.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(October 4, 2020 at 6:53 am)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(October 3, 2020 at 10:58 am)JAG Wrote:
Moderator Notice
Post Deleted. You have previously posted this exact text on at least two other websites.

LOL, really? Does this guy think that "I can feel God therefore God exists" is such a good argument that he's been posting it "all over" Internet?! I guess this happens when people read some religious book (in this case by WLC) but fail to read some book with opposing arguments.

If you're a Christian, and you want to spread God on atheist websites, it would be very helpful, to say at least, to read the opposing opinion first to get to know what you are getting yourself into.

You’re so silly. Christians proselytizers already know everything they need to know about atheists - we’re hopelessly immoral, we’re all committed Marxists, we burn churches, murder infants, don’t know right from wrong, hate God, want to end Christmas, and clearly have never read the Bible.

Studying up on atheism would be a waste of their valuable time, what with all those doorbells to ring and lawsuits to file.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
FWIW, any notion that god exists (or any notion about anything at all) which is informed by some observed effect is categorically superior to any notion uninformed by the same.

I'd wonder whether the OP had ever considered that they might have the relationship backwards. Feeling is a god-making property, gods are not feeling-making agents. If there were no human feeling there would be no gods, but if there were no gods there is still human feeling - feeling is the incontrovertible fact referenced in argument, after all.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belief without Verification or Certainty vulcanlogician 40 3313 May 11, 2022 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 2794 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments? vulcanlogician 223 28847 April 9, 2018 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Honesty and certainty. Mystic 23 3035 March 31, 2018 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Mystic
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 42443 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Valid Arguments for God (soundness disputed) Mystic 17 2088 March 25, 2017 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 2885 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Hume weakened analogical arguments for God. Pizza 18 5929 March 25, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Gaps in theistic arguments. Secular theism vs religious theism Pizza 59 10623 February 27, 2015 at 12:33 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Belief and Certainty FreeTony 6 1794 September 4, 2014 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Jenny A